PDA

View Full Version : Second gear difficulty

Enigma
09-03-2007, 10:03 AM
Just recently, I have been experiencing difficulty changing from first gear to second gear. Usually the first attempt the lever pops back to neutral. The throw doesn't seem to be as long as when it worked properly. Its a series II and has had considerable use snowplowing, mostly in second gear. Changes to all other gears seem fine.

Bad gear or are there adjustments to be made?

Thanks for any input. John

BackInA88
09-03-2007, 03:47 PM
Check that the shifter rod detent balls and springs and not stuck.
They are located under the sides of the small angle clips located on the side of the trans top cover, 2 bolts holding each on, they retain the spring and ball.
The detent that works for 1st and 2nd gear shifter rod is on the right side of the trans looking down from the top.
There is a small rubber seal between the clip and the trans.
These will most likely be hard and not reuseable, you and try cutting some new ones out of some hose of the correct size or buy new from our hosts.
The first thing I would try is removing the cap in between the 2 clips on the top of the trans cover. This cap retains the 3rd/4th detent spring and ball.
Spray some penetrating oil in while moving the shifter thru the gears.
The oil should reach the shifter rod interlock pins that are between the shifter rods which keep you from selecting 2 gears at the same time.:p

Cheers,
Steve

Enigma
09-12-2007, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the info! I didn't even know these detent balls and springs existed. BTW after consulting my 'Bible' it appears that the 1st/2nd shift rod is in the middle with the spring/ball held down with a large brass screw.

I lubed the ball/cleaned the spring and opening and reinstalled everything. It is still difficult to get it to catch in second gear. I do hear/feel a slight click though.

2 new questions. 1. Might the ball and or the slots in the selector rod be too far worn to work properly? If so, how does one remove the ball without taking the top off the transmission?
2. I notice in the 'Bible'that there is an adjustment of a second gear stop which looks accessible thru the topmost inspection cover. Might this stop have changed position thru vibration/use and need to be readjusted to allow a longer throw of the selector rod?

One learns something new everyday with a Series.

Thanks for any input

Cheers John

BackInA88
09-12-2007, 11:18 AM
Correct center rod, sorry.
The ball can sometimes be removed with a pencil magnet thru the hole.
I have not seen the rod detent wear out but I have seen the balls messed up.

The stop adjustment is for the reverse shifter rod I believe?:confused:

Enigma
09-12-2007, 04:59 PM
Thanks again - will search out a pencil magnet.

My 'Bible'indicates stop adjustments on both 1-2 and reverse selector rods.

John