PDA

View Full Version : Need a good source for sound damping material for the roof of my Defender anyone know

VTRover
09-04-2007, 05:40 PM
where I can find a good product? I have been trying to find closed cell foam sheets but have had no luck and I don't want to use that "mouse food" stuff that Land Rover used. I'd use dynamat but that would cost a huge $$$ to do the whole thing.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Terrys
09-06-2007, 06:36 AM
I don't know what the material is called, but when a friend was building his new house, the plumbing contractor put down a closed cell plastic sheet underneath the radiant heating tubing before they poured the concrete floor of the basement and garage. The material was about 3/8" thick, came in a roll about 8' wide, and one side was aluminized. It had a honeycomb construction. It was used to prevent the radiated heat going downward. If it can act as a heat insulator, it would also, likely, work well as a sound insulator. Eitherway, both would be nice additions in a drafty, noisy Defender. It would be so easy to cut sheets and glue them to the underside of the headliner, inside the doors, etc.

jabber
09-09-2007, 08:10 PM
Try this.... http://www.b-quiet.com/

They have all types of sizes, even stuff for under the bonnet!!

madp
09-10-2007, 07:13 PM
Try McMaster Carr, http://www.mcmaster.com/, product search for "3394" and you will find everything you need. The best is the Acoustical Foam/Lead Absorber-Barriers, but it is really really pricey, but the standard skinned or foil faced ones ought to get the job done nicely.

J!m
10-02-2007, 09:34 AM
I used foil-faced foam from Homo-Depot (normally used under vinyl siding on your house); about 1/4 inch thick on the roof, and 1 inch thick on the roof sides. Excellent thermal as well as noise insulation, but a soft interior surface will absorb more sound than what is behind it. I have a 3/4 inch rubber mat on the floor and on top of the wheel wells in the rear of the 110. This also deadens a lot of noise from below.

For road noise, usually the tires are the culprit, and not a whole lot can be done about it (except getting less aggressive tread).

Under hood insulation is great for engine noise (particularly a diesel) but also the new one-piece foot well inserts are better than the older ones by far. I also run thick rubber mats under the factory (thin) rubber mats on the floor in front.

Also, the rubber cover for the metal rocker cover on the 300Tdi deadens a lot of racket from the engine... This might fit a NA diesel as well as a 200Tdi as wel- I've never tried it, but it may work.

overlander
10-11-2007, 10:10 PM
Also, the rubber cover for the metal rocker cover on the 300Tdi deadens a lot of racket from the engine... This might fit a NA diesel as well as a 200Tdi as wel- I've never tried it, but it may work.

Any idea where I can get one? I have a 2.8 TGV diesel in my 110, and am looking to quiet the diesel noise.

J!m
10-12-2007, 06:38 AM
I'm sure Les from RN can find one for you...:thumb-up: