PDA

View Full Version : WHY DO WE WANT THESE THINGS????????

xrover
09-04-2007, 07:04 PM
i HAVE READ MANY (20 TO 50 OR SO) LISTINGS OF PEOPLE THINKING ABOUT BUYING A SERIES... WONDERING WHAT ONE MIGHT BE WORTH... TRYING TO FIND OUT WHAT THE BIG DEAL IS.... AND ETC... ETC... ETC...

I WANTED MINE BECAUSE I HAD THE CHANCE TO RIDE IN ONE WHILE I WAS A BOY SCOUT BACK IN 1979, I SAID TO MYSELF, "SELF, IF YOU EVER HAVE SOME DISPOSABLE INCOME WERE GOING TO BUY ONE OF THESE NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE ELSE SAYS..."

ADDITIONALLY, I LIKE THE CRAZY LOOKS AND THE FACT THAT MY NEIGHBOR CALLS ME TO GET HIS F250 WHEN IT'S STUCK IN THE MUD.

ADDITIONALLY, ADDITIONALLY... IT GIVES ME A REASON TO GO OUTSIDE AND DO SOME YARDWORK AS I AM WAITING FOR IT TO COME TO TEMP AFTER I INSTALL 200.00 IN NEW PARTS AND SPEND COUNTLESS HOURS WAITING FOR YOU FINE INDIVIDUALS TO GIVE ME ADVISE ON WHAT I SHOULD DO NEXT. (I AM VERY GREATFULL YOU KNOW...)

IT'S A PERSONAL THING YOU KNOW..........:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

WHY DID YOU WANT ONE????????????????????????????????????????????

scott
09-04-2007, 07:45 PM
lots of my friend have short wheel based 4x4s mostly jeeps, but badvibes has a iia and a jeep and like he says "heeps, yodas or roves, they all get stuck they all break down". so i went with the one that always gets stuck always breaks down but most definantly always looks cool

badvibes
09-04-2007, 09:19 PM
WHY DID YOU WANT ONE????????????????????????????????????????????

Because I'm a gentleman and do not wish to motor about after dark! :D

Jeff

Jim-ME
09-05-2007, 06:06 AM
I bought mine because the first vehicle I ever owned was a 65 88. Always loved that thing even with all the repairs and expensive parts. I can also say that it never failed to get me where I needed to go. Like I said earlier they get in your blood.
Jim

msggunny
09-05-2007, 07:02 AM
I bought mine because i couldnt bring a 110 back with me from Africa and after driving one i fell in love with it. I have always liked to be a bit different too, not buying what everyone else has.

Going to keep it until either i die, my son wants it, or it falls apart. Lots of sentimental value that out weighs the PITFA that it can be.

singingcamel
09-05-2007, 08:00 AM
bought my first series rover in 1974 , $2500.00 and have had them ever since.
when i was 12 yrs old i would drool not only for the topless african women but for the adds on the last few pages that would have adds for land rover. i was hooked then.
i have had evey year of the series rovers except the year of the 1954 and never owned a 107 but i'm not dead yet .i still own my 109 3 dr. for over 30 yrs.now.
i just took a 3 day drive in my 1969 .on a camping excursion, i still love em and can't ever imagine walking into my shop without seeing a series rover.
i tell people who are thinking about one, its kind of like being married. 90% of the time you love it ,10% of the time you wonder why you did it .
you ought to see our house and drive way, looks like a rover rally waiting to happen, in facy at the park we stayed at ,we had several people stop and ask if it was, it was just a family gathering ,but it did look like like a rally, never thought abought it.
:thumb-up: KEEP EM GOING , MY BROTHER IN ROVERS ...marc:thumb-up:

TeriAnn
09-05-2007, 10:35 AM
bought my first series rover in 1974 , $2500.00 and have had them ever since.

i still own my 109 3 dr. for over 30 yrs.now.
Wow! Someone into them longer than I! :thumb-up::thumb-up::thumb-up:

My first Land Rover was a 1968 88 I purchased in 1976 and This Year is my 29th with The Green Rover (1960 109 3 door Dormobile).

To the topic question:

"A Land Rover is less of a car than a state of mind."
from a review of the 1964 Series Land Rover by Car and Driver magazine

This seems a spot on statement. Series owners fully believe that Series Land Rovers have more raw charisma in a single lug nut than just about any other 4X4 could ever claim.

Long time Series Land Rover folks are almost all romanticists who dream the mystical charisma of Series Land Rovers.

Lots of folks buy Series rigs, keep them a couple years then sell them because of any number of very good reasons. They never seem to get past the reality of leaky seals, high maintenance, noise and primitive amenities. The dream fades when met with the reality of the vehicle and the vehicle is sold for any number of very good reasons.

Then you get people who fall in love with the dream long term but can not quite handle the reality of a Series Land Rover. They often collect several Series Land Rovers, few if any are ever in good reliable operating condition, let alone drivable. The owner seldom puts more than 5000 miles a year on their Series Land Rover. Most of their actual driving is done in a more modern civilized vehicle. The Series Land Rovers are dream machines, facilitating untold hours of wonderful fantasies.

Then there are the folks who own A Series Land Rover long term and put lots of long miles on it. These folks generally lose what grip they might have on normal reality and become the dream, living in a different reality from the normal person.

This latter Land Rover owner subgroup tends to be mostly composed of hopeless romanticists that have a streak of masochistic tendencies and a large dash of tenacity. Generally, they also tend not to be well attached to the normal day to day reality of modern society. They are mostly thought of as mostly harmless eccentric nutters.

I'm not putting any good , bad, better or lesser labels on any subgroup as we are each different people with different needs, desires and asperations. If anything the Series Land Rover nutters should perhaps be pitied as they will never quite feel comfortable as members of normal society nor feel normal social aspirations as others do.

http://www.tjwakeman.net/cactus.gif

Jim-ME
09-05-2007, 11:34 AM
Well I guess that I have you all beat for now. I got my first Rover in 1970. :)

LaneRover
09-05-2007, 11:37 AM
I got my interest in Rovers from a combination of all those old African films and from my older brother who had a 1966 (I think) 88 and had brought it back to Maine to rebuild it over the summer. He would bitch about fixing his volkswagen but he loved working on the Rover. He was going to Trinity and then transfered to Bethel college in Minnesota. I think he sold it to a friend who then sold it on, bought it back and so on. On really cold mornings he would have a roommate sit in it and use the starter while he ALSO used the crank as that was the only way to start it when it was so cold. He also at one point owned the Rover, a Cruiser and a Jeep. he said that the Jeep was best for going down the highway but that the Rover was best for going anywhere.

Also, what other vehicle can you get into rather cheaply and have people coming and telling you that you have their dream car and that they have always wanted one.

Back in 2000 Ford borrowed my 1965 109 SW for a big meeting of the Premier Auto group up in Orange County. They wanted a display of vehicles and wanted a pretty original long wheel base Rover ( I think they found me through BPacific). I didn't get to go because that week-end I was at the aformentioned brother's wedding in Minnesota. But when they brought the Rover back the driver said, "They had sports cars worth 150 - 200K sitting there and EVERYONE was looking at your old Rover!"

Tim Smith
09-05-2007, 12:27 PM
I love questions like this but never really get it right when trying to explain... So to put it quite simply I wanted because I needed to put a smile on my face every morning.

I'm keeping it because it does that and so so SO much more! :thumb-up:

LH Drive
09-05-2007, 01:03 PM
My favorite show growing up only came on the tube once a week, it was Mutual of Omaha's Wild kingdom. I would get excited when they would show a topless Series Rover. I would also drool over them on my uncle's magazine ads. I remember a shot of a mustached man sitting on the front of a Series bumper lighting up a cig. The tan Series was either stuck in the mud or he was changing the front tire. Not sure if it was a Camel Trophy or Camel cig ad. I always wondered how it must feel to drive one of those trucks. Growing up in South Texas you just don't see them on the road. The first time I traveled west to New Mexico I saw one in traffic. It was a RH drive and it was rigged up for the outback or something. I only remeber the rear of the Series SW and a Navy Seal logo on the tire cover as I was following it down the road till it turned left. That was the first I even thought of buying one for myself. I thought ,,how did that guy bring one over from the UK.. and If he can have one then so can I.
I don't have all the money in the world so about 8 years later,,I finally bought one and I can't stop driving it.

singingcamel
09-05-2007, 01:13 PM
I love questions like this but never really get it right when trying to explain... So to put it quite simply I wanted because I needed to put a smile on my face every morning.

I'm keeping it because it does that and so so SO much more! :thumb-up:

:D WELL SAID :D TIM

dmurrell
09-05-2007, 01:20 PM
I too had a few other 4x4s as a younger guy, started with a 1941 Ford (Willys) GPW and then a couple of FJs and a 1970 Bronco.

I was in the Peace Corp in Kenya and took a vacation in Tanzania. I rented an early 72/73 Seriess III 88 to go to the Ngorongoro Crater. On the way up the crater the passenger rear wheel fell off at about 30 mph. After a thrilling stop, I said I must have one of these things. ;)

It took me a while, but I have had my Series III for almost 10 years. Good portions of the time it was my only car. I can't imagine not having the ol' girl around as she's my kid's favorite car and SO DEPENDABLE.

Some of you probably know Steve Johnson from Dixieland Rovers (now closed) but his motto was , "a Series truck will always get you back to the camp". So far he's been right.

BackInA88
09-05-2007, 01:47 PM
Bought my first a 73 Series III 88 on a whim from a farmer down the road.
This is before the internet and I didn't know what I was getting into.
First time I went to the auto parts they looked at me like I was nuts!

I don't even know how I found out about Rovers North, maybe an ad?
I was pleasantly surprised to find out most of the parts were cheaper than the ones for my J**p......
But alas I ended up with a new job that took me from 3 miles on local roads to work to 30+ miles on the highway.
With no O/D it just wasn't going to cut it.
So after about 3 years I sold it for double what I paid and moved on but it never got out of my blood.

Than one day wasting time on Ebay I saw a 74 88 a couple miles from my house that had just come from the Southwest with a "Buy it Now" of 10K!
Sounded high , but what the heck I was just looking.
Called to go look at it the first day it was listed, SOLD!!:mad:
But I was bitten by the Series bug again and there was no going back.
Lurked on Ebay for weeks watching......watching...watching....
Watched one not make it's reserve the first time around.
It came back up with no one bidding, so on the last day I sent the ower a note and made an offer he took.!:p

A solid rust free rig from the Southwest.
Of course I couldn't leave it alone.
Replaced all the seals, it is now leak free, for now.:rolleyes:
Re-did my crashbox to Series III inners but retained the IIa clutch, so the wife can drive it, which BTW she has yet to do!
But both my daughters have!:thumb-up:
The first time my youngest daughter drove it she popped and axle shaft at the bottom of the drive!! :)

In a few years my sons will be driving it!

Steve

Here's my other toy....

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y142/slouzon/Vette2.jpg

scatterling
09-05-2007, 07:24 PM
I bought mine because riding in the back of a Land Rover in the dunes outside of Walvis Bay in Namibia is one of my earliest childhood memories... it reminds me of home

Great postings.... it just shows how much a part of us these amazing little trucks actually are, there's just no explaining it :)

4flattires
09-06-2007, 12:10 AM
My favorite show growing up only came on the tube once a week, it was Mutual of Omaha's Wild kingdom. I would get excited when they would show a topless Series Rover.

Ditto for me. I think I played with the Leslie scale models too as a kid. My SIIa was sighted in a yard on the other side of town and being a gearhead, it was only natural that it be sitting in my back yard instead.

:D

Jeff

xrover
09-06-2007, 07:47 AM
Wild Kingdom!!! :thumb-up: :thumb-up: :thumb-up: :thumb-up:

I was trying to figure out the show that had a series I watched as a kid.

Thanks for reminding me...

I take it no one bought one of these just for the transportation aspect.

Jeff Aronson
09-06-2007, 08:49 AM
My British mother received magazines from home often and they were filled with ads for British cars; the Land Rover was hard to miss. I gravitated to British sports cars during the '60's - 80's, until parts and service became huge headaches as British Leyland left the US market.

I spent 6 years running only Jeep CJ's, for which there was an actual dealer in Vermont [whom I had to visit all too often]. During that time, a colleague at UVM, who knew of my British car interest, kept asking why I didn't get a Land Rover like his. He had worked in Africa and admired them so much he had to find a Series III and keep it going. He mentioned Rovers North often enough so I got the hint.

In 1990, I started out in my own business which also meant I absolutely, positively had to get somewhere in any weather. My '78 Triumph Spitfire was not the perfect answer :). When I saw a group of Land Rovers in Marlborough, NH, at the old Cheshire Motors, I knew I had to have one. I found the QE IV in Maine with "only" 111,000 miles, bought it, and still rely on it daily. About 200,000 miles and over 10 years ago, I had a Rovers North rebuilt engine installed. In 2003, East Coast Rover and Rovers North made a frame-over possible. This Rover should last my lifetime.

The second Rover in my life, the QM I, arrived in 2005. It's also a 1966, this time, a hardtop with a soft top hoop set as a bonus. It's as rough as the QE I was when I first bought it and I love both of them.

They are joys to drive and own and still draw attention from male and female fans of wicked cool transportation.

Jeff

badvibes
09-06-2007, 10:00 AM
Wild Kingdom!!! :thumb-up: :thumb-up: :thumb-up: :thumb-up:

I was trying to figure out the show that had a series I watched as a kid.

Thanks for reminding me...

I take it no one bought one of these just for the transportation aspect.

Yeah Marlin Perkins had it made. :cool: Sitting in the studio saying things like, "Now Jim will wrestle the 30' anaconda into a burlap bag so it can be weighed." :eek: Marlin was cool but that Jim dude was the real Tarzan. :D

LaneRover
09-06-2007, 11:52 AM
Come to think of it, my first Rover was the Corgi toy set from Daktari that my grandmother bought me from G.Fox and Co where she worked in Hartford. Since I still have that toy I can honestly say that I have never gotten rid of a Rover! At the moment I am up to 7 1/2.

Brent

xrover
09-06-2007, 12:00 PM
To bad the croc hunter, may he rest in peace, drove Toyota's and Mitsubishi's.

He would have been way cooler in a series :cheers:

xrover
09-06-2007, 12:12 PM
Come to think of it, my first Rover was the Corgi toy set from Daktari that my grandmother bought me from G.Fox and Co where she worked in Hartford. Since I still have that toy I can honestly say that I have never gotten rid of a Rover! At the moment I am up to 7 1/2.

Brent

We need to see pics of the 1/2 Rover... It's a must now since you brought it up...

LaneRover
09-06-2007, 12:19 PM
I'll have to do some searching to see if I still have some pics from when I bought it.

Basically it had been in an accident and there was no engine, no bodywork ahead of the bulkhead and one of the axles was missing (strangely I think it was the rear axle that was missing). It has since been taken apart and the parts stored - it did come with a nice liftgate!

I bought it and a whole basket case from a guy near Wiscasset Maine who decided against trying to make one good one.

Brent

jp-
09-06-2007, 12:53 PM
My first vehice was the NADA that I still have. My father purchased it in 1985. Camping in Cades Cove is a fond memory. Soon after my Uncle got a Dormobile that we also camped in.

greenmeanie
09-06-2007, 02:43 PM
I was drunk - is that an excuse?

Actually I moved over here from the UK and was feeling quite at odds with myself as I was waiting for my 101 to come of age to import. My wife liked that time as all the household jobs got done and there was no oily mess and I had a bank account. I was kicking around on the interweb one night after a few beers and decided I needed a truck. The idea was sold as a 'temporary vehicle' to use for utility duties until my 101 arrived and took over after which the Series would be diposed of.

Of course the 101 arrived and needed work so the series stayed for a bit and then misteriously was slightly dismantled (It's amajor problem dear) and hidden under all the paint cans and other stuff in the garage. Whenever the car or 101 was broken it seemed to reappear and be able to be put back in running condition. Whenever my wife remembered that it was to be disposed of the Series would somehow break and disappear into its camouflaged position in the garage. Finally my wife has accepted the truck is staying so she has come out of her nefarious existence to take her rightful spot leaking oil on the driveway. On pain of death I am now limited to two trucks. I am still in negotiation on whether a Stolly is included in this clause as it is amphibious although divorce was mentioned a few times in response.

I saw the advert for her as a straight, original, Late SIIA NADA desert truck in Santa Fe. I grabbed my tool box, got on a plane (Ah remember those days!) and flew up there with a cheque. After a quick inspection and a once round the block it was driving her back to Tucson over the weekend with absolutely no mechanical issues. I have been smiling ever since, or at least when I am not trying to avoid bugs when the screen is folded down.

In contrast buying a modern car from a dealer forcourt seems such a sleezy and, if I may say, unadventurous thing to do.

Cheers
Gregor

xrover
09-06-2007, 03:00 PM
I was drunk works for cheating on your wife/other, why you gave someone a backhanded comment, it's a reason why you didnt get any yardwork done on a saturday afternoon, seems to be a good excuse for taking 3000.00 off your credit card for one last roll of the dice in Vegas, perfect for why your fire in you contained fire pit reached 8 ft high, it works great for when you want to get canned and your boss asks why you dint come to work yesterday, I expect it might work when the wife asks "why dint you come home last night?" and finally, you can use it for a reason why you didnt show up for jury duty .

I have only used this excuse for 2 of these. You figure it out...

msggunny
09-06-2007, 08:57 PM
wicked cool transportation.

Wow, havent heard "wicked cool" in a while. First time i heard it was from a Marine and his wife from Maine, that was a few years ago.

LaneRover
09-07-2007, 12:55 AM
we got a lot of neat little 'sayings' up in Maine

Jim-ME
09-07-2007, 05:42 AM
A-yuh

scott
09-08-2007, 05:36 PM
i've heard marlin and daktari mention but the best sreries movie scene is in "the god's must be crazy II" where the n'kuhn (sp?) cheif is driving a iia a in reverse while sitting on the bonnet with the wind screen down facing aft.

LaneRover
09-08-2007, 06:31 PM
I hope that you mean "The Gods Must be Crazy" and not "The Gods Must be Crazy II". Yes I have seen both and was quite disapointed in II. That being said, 'The Anti-Christ' didn't form my love and want for a Land Rover as it came out after I was interested. But it did help solidify that love and want.

Brent

xrover
09-08-2007, 10:00 PM
Not to get off track here, but............... I was watching Lara Croft drive thru a jungle as I was channel surfing today in what looked to be a modified Defender. VERRRRY MODIFIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All I could think of is, How much hotter would she be if she was in a series instead? The movie would have been completely different. She would not have made it to the tomb in time and most likely would need spare parts not artilery to get here back.

Thought I would share............... :D