PDA

View Full Version : Freshly towed home '64 IIa 88 NEED HELP

alligatorfoot
09-04-2007, 07:52 PM
I just purchased a '64 88IIa and I need as much help as I can get. At this point I just want it to be able to pass inspection and not kill it by not taking the necessary precausions (after sitting for 2-4 years) while I work at restoring it.
-Background -- sat 2-4 years with very sporatic starting, no rust frame, no key, half of the wires disconnected (prev owner began prepping for wiring new harnesses).
-Hot wired to get it started (sounds pretty good so far), tranmission not yet field tested (didn't need a second call to AAA in as many days).

QUESTION -- What is the best place to start, change oil? transmission fluids?, best manual to get, etc??? Also I need to get all of the electric rehooked up and would like to get it back to stock (except for alternator replacing generator --already done) **Also, when I field test it in a few days do I need to double clutch?** I know this sounds stupid to ask but I am learning as I go. Thanks

scott
09-04-2007, 08:03 PM
i start off in 2nd. no sync between 1st & 2nd and 1st whines out pretty quickly anyway. no double clutching needed as 3rd and 4th are sync's and i don't go to 2nd until i stop. i use a haynes manual, cheap and fairly good. but there is a book that's referred to as the "green bible" for our yr & model expect to pay about $100. i'd change motor oil, gear box, transfer case, diffs, swivle balls and the o/d if you got one. then cruise it, and curse as you see all that leaks. i find beer helps minimizes my cursing.

LaneRover
09-04-2007, 08:11 PM
Ditto on the changing of the oils, since you want to get it inspectable see if the transmission (parking) brake works and if it is still adjustable or is a lump of rust with a bit of steel in there. Be ready for stuff that works to suddenly stop working because it didn't like 'waking' up after sitting for awhile. I had a starter act fine and then a month after a rebuild it just died.

Where are you and how intense is your inspection?

Many of your electrical problems will be ground related. Especially the electrical problems that come up as, "Why when I use my right turn signal does everything work but when I use the left turn signal the right turn signal and left parking light come on steady, but don't flash."

Brent

Bostonian1976
09-04-2007, 08:21 PM
give us some pictures to drool over :)

alligatorfoot
09-04-2007, 08:51 PM
This is what I got, (had troble with attachment but looks much better than the photo).

Good news is that it has a solid frame and bulkhead, and the most recent work was done by a compendent previous owner (new signal and lamps, new aluminum door tops, new engine mounts, new hinge bolts, alternator conversion, weber carb conversion, old door tops and full rear door included). Also I am located outside of NYC.

badvibes
09-04-2007, 09:01 PM
Nice truck! If you're driving it currently make sure you have a jack to go with your spare. That's an inside joke for a previous responder. Seriously, no pun intended, if you have electrical issues at hand I'd be sure I had a fire extinguisher in the truck/at hand. Also tools to disconnect a battery quickly if needed. It'd be a shame for an electrical issue/fire to crop up and burn things up. Seen too many close calls with old wiring.

Jeff

scott
09-04-2007, 10:35 PM
Nice truck! If you're driving it currently make sure you have a jack to go with your spare. That's an inside joke for a previous responder. Seriously, no pun intended, if you have electrical issues at hand I'd be sure I had a fire extinguisher in the truck/at hand. Also tools to disconnect a battery quickly if needed. It'd be a shame for an electrical issue/fire to crop up and burn things up. Seen too many close calls with old wiring.

Jeff

hey offence taken! i got a jack now. geeze are you every going to forget that night. by the way, nice rightie alligatorfoot. and i hope that name is cuz you wear alligator boots and not that one got your foot

TeriAnn
09-04-2007, 10:56 PM
QUESTION -- What is the best place to start, change oil? transmission fluids?, best manual to get, etc???
#1 get the owners manual.

The factory owners manual tells you what the knobs do, has wiring diagrams and - IMPORTANT - has the factory recommended maintenance schedule AND clear, easy to follow step by step instructions on how to carry out the normal maintenance procedures. How to do a tune up, check fluid levels and what fluids to use. This is your first must have book.

# 2 Get the white bible, or the newer green reprint.

The factory workshop manuals (Mine are white, not green) were written for professional mechanics and assume you are a competent wrench turner. These are must have if you wish to go beyond the normal tune up & maintenance stuff.

If there is $$$ left in your wallet that you just HAVE to spend the factory parts books have good drawing showing all the parts.

Still more $$$? subscribe to the Overland Journal

singingcamel
09-05-2007, 08:04 AM
preventitive and routine maintaince is the key, take to heart the above listings ..good luck and welcome aboard my friend..marc
www.singingcamel.com (http://www.singingcamel.com)

xrover
09-05-2007, 10:34 AM
These listing hit it right on the nose. I cant stress more that if you run into tech problems, stop what your doing and get onto the board.

All of us have had some sort of issue that we attempted to wrap our minds around and 10 minutes on the board makes you realize that it's not the first time thats happened.

Someone has usually been there and done that...

Welcome...

badvibes
09-05-2007, 11:32 AM
**Also, when I field test it in a few days do I need to double clutch?** I know this sounds stupid to ask but I am learning as I go. Thanks

I forgot to respond to this part of your post earlier, I was too busy needling Scott...

Yes I double clutch on the downshifts, particularly down to 2nd from 3rd, and down to 1st from 2nd. Like Scott mentioned earlier there are no synchros between 1 & 2. Even though there are syncs between the other gears my 43 year old box seems to catch a tooth or 3 or 10 on downshifts if I'm too quick. So I usually go ahead and double clutch on the downshifts between whatever. My tranny seems to like it.

J

Jim-ME
09-05-2007, 11:38 AM
Welcome aboard the Series train! If we can be of help we will be. :thumb-up:
Jim

alligatorfoot
09-05-2007, 11:42 AM
Thank you for all of the encouragement and advice. I am really psyched about getting my hands on this and finding the forum. I have the extinguisher and will start on the wiring this weekend (first just rehooking up everything, then drive a little (half a dozen miles) to see what surprises surface, then oil and tranny fluid change, new harnesses, ...). Guys in my neighborhood are drooling, wives don't get it (although thankfully mine does).

alligatorfoot
09-05-2007, 11:44 AM
Thank you for all of the encouragement and advice. I am really psyched about getting my hands on this and finding the forum. I have the extinguisher and will start on the wiring this weekend (first just rehooking up everything, then drive a little (half a dozen miles) to see what surprises surface, then oil and tranny fluid change, new harnesses, ...). Guys in my neighborhood are drooling, wives don't get it (although thankfully mine does).

Tim Smith
09-05-2007, 12:10 PM
Thank you for all of the encouragement and advice. I am really psyched about getting my hands on this and finding the forum...
Here is a little piece of advice. Hitting the submit button twice won't get you out of low range any faster. LOL :p

Welcome aboard!