PDA

View Full Version : Roll Call for all US and Canadian owned LR Lightweights

Bilbo42
09-05-2007, 02:47 PM
Hello. I am new to this forum and did not see a section covering Land Rover Lightweights. I am sure there are quite a few out there and I would like to see pictures of what everyone has. I'll start by postings a picture of the two lightweights that I have and I hope eveyone will follow suit. Both of mine are 1974 Series III Lightweigts. The green one (FFR-Fitted for Radio) is still in the Deep Bronze Green that it was issued in in June, 1974 to the 212th Battery, 105th Regiment Royal Artillery (Volunteers) at Arbroath in Scottland. The gray Lightweight has been repainted recently and is my everyday runabout. Both run great! I hope to see a lot of your Lightweight pics here. Best regards, Bil

yorker
09-05-2007, 03:45 PM
Lightweights are series rovers so they fit right in on this forum.

I know of two locally...
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l119/sepp45/guy%20fawkes%2006/lightweight.jpg Howard Smith's ex commando one. with 3.5l SD1 engine.

and

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l119/sepp45/misc/ltwtflx8.jpg

Rick Lamb's heavily modified Ltwt,SOA, EFI 5.0l V8, NP435, Salisbury rear axle etc...

mchellgren
09-20-2007, 08:53 PM
'79 FFR RHD

Bilbo42
09-20-2007, 09:32 PM
I fgured that we would get a lot of replies from this topic. BTW,Mchellgren, is yours painted NATO green? I am still trying to decide what to repaint mine. I am not sure what my current color is. I have found the original gloss Deep Bronze Green, then what I think is NATO green (very similiar to your) and another shade of green that is not as yellow as Nato green and my current color. Mine is kinda odd in another way too. Everything I read says that mine was delivered in DBG which makes sense since I can see that it is the first coat. Boy is it glossy. Then the odd part... again everything I read says that they took the rovers that were to be camo and sprayed or brushed the WHOLE vehicle NATO green and then applied black over the NATO green in some areas. Well on mine, the black was painted on straight over the glossy deep bronze green and the NATO green was everywhere else. Its current color seems to be an attemp at DBG except that it is pretty flat. I don't know if it is military or not. The whole truck is this color now, in and out. What color do you guys think it is now? Thanks, Bil

yorker
09-21-2007, 12:11 PM
They were all delivered in Bronze Green. The colors after that and the methods of application vary greatly. I counted the layers on my Ambulance and there were no fewer than 15 layers op paint going down to the original bronze green. No two layers matched really either to any "NATO green". Whenever they had to find work for squaddies to do they gave them a brush and directed them to the Land Rovers...

Bilbo42
09-22-2007, 09:30 PM
Yea, I heard that about the squabbies. I think mine has about 5 or 6 layers. You don't happen to know of a source in the US (or know someone who might) for NATO Green do you?

yorker
09-23-2007, 09:29 AM
Not really. Most of the stuff you get from Military vehicle places in the US is off- it looka ok from a distance but is more greenish than brownish. Trying to get the paint from the UK is difficult. The best bet is to get it mixed up here by color matching.

jac04
09-23-2007, 10:37 AM
A little off topic here, but what is a good resource for finding a lightweight for sale in the US? I'm interested in picking up one in the New England area. Thanks.

IIA Lightweight
09-24-2007, 02:04 PM
I have a IIA Lightweight here in Wi.
Bronze green>then Met. Lt blue> then bronze green.
It has a rare 3.5 V8 with twin SU and now a LT95 trans.
david

smeag
09-25-2007, 12:19 PM
I'm in Virginia
http://www.rev.net/~smeagol/SIIIlightweight.jpg

Les Parker
09-26-2007, 01:41 PM
Hers's the Ser III Airportable that went to the Metal Dash Weekend in MA, recently.

:thumb-up:

mchellgren
10-11-2007, 09:48 PM
Has anybody looked into getting the radio working?

brathay
10-12-2007, 10:15 AM
Hi,

Am looking for a lightweight heater. Anyone have a spare. Am located in NYS

Thanks

HabDaddy
10-12-2007, 08:19 PM
Here is mine in North Carolina. Still in the process of modifying it.

http://www.carolinarovers.info/images/stories/galleries/caneyfork092007/DSCN3364.JPG

mchellgren
10-16-2007, 04:26 PM
Big improvement with bigger tires