PDA

View Full Version : TIRE (OR TYRE) QUESTION?????

xrover
09-06-2007, 08:01 AM
i HAVE A SET OF WILDCAT RADIAL LT 235 85 16 M/S ON MY SIII. THE SIDEWALL SHOWS 80 PSI MAX PRESSURE COLD.

I HAVE BEEN FOLLOWING THE BOOK AND KEEPING PRESSURE BETWEEN 25 AND 30 PSI.

JUST NOTICED THIS YESTERDAY. 80 PSI????????? WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ANYONE ELSE RUNNING THESE???

4flattires
09-06-2007, 08:22 AM
That size is more typically used in a 3/4 or 1 ton truck configuration, especially with dual rear wheels. Its easy to think the tire size only applies to our vehicle on which the tire is mounted. If you think your Rover rides like a buckboard now, try even more pressure! :)

Enjoy,

Jeff

Jeff Aronson
09-06-2007, 08:31 AM
The key word is "maximum." 80 psi might be all the sidewall can hold when cold [i.e., not running], but you would certainly feel the pounding at much over 35 psi and you would have no "give" to aid in grip offroad.

25-30 psi is great for paved road driving; 12 - 15 psi is perfect for off road conditions [snow, ice, sand] that require some extra grip. Muddy conditions also benefit from sidewall flex but you don't want too big a footprint in mud.

Enjoy,

Jeff

xrover
09-06-2007, 08:47 AM
Thanks...

yorker
09-06-2007, 08:56 AM
A LOT of people get confused by that, I used to run into people running their tires at maximum inflation all the time when I sold tires.

Check out the max load rating for those tires too while you are reading the sidewalls- I bet you aren't using them under anything approaching those conditions. If a 235-85-16 in load range C rather than E was available it would be more appropriate for most LR people's uses. So anyway feel free to air down until you have a nice contact patch and ride.

msggunny
09-06-2007, 11:43 AM
Check your manual if you have one. Or buy a Haynes. they will tell you what to run your tires at as far as PSI reccomended by LR.

You can also do the chalk method that people use for oversized tires.
I have used it on both my series and my toy and it works

Put a line of chalk across your tires from side to side. Drive 100 or so feet. check what has rubbed off.

If it all rubbed off its good as far as PSI

If the middle only rubbed off its over-inflated

If the edges rubbed off its under-inflated.

I think the maunal says either 28 psi or some where close to that, at work so i cant reference it though.

LaneRover
09-06-2007, 11:57 AM
Or heck! Just pump it up to 80 and enjoy easier steering as well as every slight little dimple in the road!

xrover
09-06-2007, 12:01 PM
Will do... I will call you from the road while I'm waiting for AAA...:thumb-up:

Tim Smith
09-06-2007, 02:25 PM
Will do... I will call you from the road while I'm waiting for AAA...:thumb-up:
Uh, don't you mean "waiting for the amulance (due to early kidney failure)"?
LOL.