PDA

View Full Version : Rover key won't turn, stuck in park - HELP!

erganomic
09-06-2007, 08:37 AM
After 9 years and 215,000 miles, my 93 Rover has finally stranded me.

Here's the situation: I parked on a hill, put it in park, didn't pull the emergency brake for some reason. Consequently, there's a lot of load on the tranny. Came back to the vehicle, put in the key, and it won't turn at all -is locked up tight.

I did all the tricks -- turned the steering wheel left to right, (now it's locked). I jiggled the shifter, jiggled the key, nothing. I tried a second key, still won't turn.

Any ideas before i have to call a wrecker and disengage the drive shaft, etc.?? If i can move it backwards to relieve some of the load, would that help? Any help appreciated!

thanks!

Jerry 92RR
09-06-2007, 09:45 AM
My 92 has done this many times. Honestly, the cheap bastard fix i used was getting an extra key made and leaving it in the ignition SLIGHTLY turned so that no accessories come on. Two weeks ago I pulled the key out while parked on an incline and it took 25 minutes of trying to jimmy the key to unlock the ignition.

Sadly, aside from the obvious, just keep trying. The steering wheel will probably not help much while jiggling. You can try it and at least it will keep your other arm occupied while your wrist gets tired of working the key. Just keep trying.

erganomic
09-07-2007, 06:23 AM
Thanks! And that's exactly what i had to do -- finally got it to unlock (don't ask how - have no idea - it just started working). I'm leaving a key in the ignition and locking the doors with another key. Will have the cylinder changed out sometime. thanks for your suggestion.