PDA

View Full Version : Pop goes the axel...

Tim Smith
09-07-2007, 09:28 AM
So it finally happened this morning. BANG! Popped my rear axle as I was entering the main road (on a steep incline) from a stop sign. Traffic backed up behind me pretty quickly but luckily with the rag top on and rolled up I was able to wave cars past me as I rolled the thing <ever so carefully> into a tree. Hop out, flip the free-wheel hubs, jump in, push yellow knob in and low and behold it worked. Hooray! Must have done something right last time I had those hubs apart. :thumb-up:

So I was off again in front wheel drive. With great care I finished the rest or my commute. About 3 miles worth and I was at the office.

A few questions:
Should I remove the drive shafts before I try to drive the thing again? I was in a bit of a jam this morning and luckily nothing bad happened.

Should it be hopping when I'm turning now? It acts like I'm in four wheel drive even though the rear drive shaft isn't connected to anything now. So really I'm just in front wheel drive, right?. I'm kinda confused...

Any one got a 24 spline rear end? I'll have to count them again to be sure but I've got the 24 axles. Unfortunately I lost my rear some time ago...

msggunny
09-07-2007, 09:47 AM
Holly crap that sucks.

And with a 24 spline too?

It will jump around turns even with the rear disconnected. Or at least from what i have experienced.

Where did you get the 24 spline axles for the rear?

BackInA88
09-07-2007, 10:10 AM
24 spline at the hub flange, right?

I would be concerned about driving around.
I would be worried that the little bits would get in places they shouldn't!:(

scott
09-07-2007, 10:12 AM
drop your drive line, pull your you hubs and axles, pull the 3rd mbr. i can't believe a 24 snap leavng a stop sign. i'd suspect a spider gear shaft or something. but don't let the wheels turn your diff with broken parts in there.

Tim Smith
09-07-2007, 10:20 AM
Holly crap that sucks.

And with a 24 spline too?

It will jump around turns even with the rear disconnected. Or at least from what i have experienced.

Where did you get the 24 spline axles for the rear?

No, no. I was running the 10 spline axles when it happened. I've been running them ever since I mashed the differential that used the 24 spline axles a few years ago.

The truck came with the 24 spline axles when I bought it. It also had an air locker but who ever put the air locker in there had used a spacer to get the ring gear into adjustment and it eventually failed on me. Thats why the switch back to 10 splines. I kind of think they were made by rocky mountain or some other after market place but will have to dig them up to find out.

Thanks for letting me know about the jumping around bit being normal. :thumb-up:

Tim Smith
09-07-2007, 10:22 AM
24 spline at the hub flange, right?

I would be concerned about driving around.
I would be worried that the little bits would get in places they shouldn't!:(
Thanks! Thats just the kind of visual I was worried about. So I guess she's staying put until I can toss some other axles and new oil in there.

Cheers,
Tim

Tim Smith
09-07-2007, 10:29 AM
drop your drive line, pull your you hubs and axles, pull the 3rd mbr. i can't believe a 24 snap leavng a stop sign. i'd suspect a spider gear shaft or something. but don't let the wheels turn your diff with broken parts in there.
LOL
Building security already hates me for that day one of my gas tanks decided to let loose on the roof parking garage.

I'm sure this little operation wouldn't go unnoticed either. :D

Thanks everyone!

BackInA88
09-07-2007, 10:56 AM
You can get it home if you .....
1. Pull the rear drive shaft.
2. Remove both axle shafts so your diff doesn't turn while driving home.
3. Make some gaskets out of a some thin cardboard (beer box works well here, but it's best to empty it before hand, well I have to Honey!!) put with no hole for the axle shafts so you still have some oil at your hubs and not running out on the road.

This is assuming the axle broke at the diff.

4. It is broke at the hub you will also want to pull that hub and rinse it down to remove any small bits from your bearings. Slap a little grease on them to get you home.

Than the fun of pulling the diff at home begins!:D

I find that lightly tapping the cardboard around the edge of what I am making the gasket for with a soft metal hammer cuts a nice gasket.

Tim Smith
09-07-2007, 11:15 AM
I have a plan of attack on this but we all know how those go. So I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again everyone!

Tim

singingcamel
09-07-2007, 11:21 AM
whilst you have it apart look closely at the short shaft as well, usuallly if one side goes the other will follow shortly.
look for wear and twisting of the splines.
clean out the diff of fragments! good luck
www.singingcamel.com (http://www.singingcamel.com)

Tim Smith
09-07-2007, 01:17 PM
whilst you have it apart look closely at the short shaft as well, usuallly if one side goes the other will follow shortly.
look for wear and twisting of the splines.
clean out the diff of fragments! good luck
www.singingcamel.com (http://www.singingcamel.com)
Thanks for reminding me. I think I pained a straight line down these shafts with nail polish (yeah, yeah don't ask) before I put them in just to test if one can see the amount of twist these things go through.

If the lines are still there, I'll post a picture for you all.

Cheers,
Tim

JimCT
09-08-2007, 06:06 AM
It probably broke at the inner end. Get a nice long 22 cleaning rod with a comfotable handle on the end, you pull both axles, slide the cleaning rod in from the good side, pas tthe spder gear pin until you can feel it agasint the broken stub. Give it a good healthy wack and the broken bit will shoot near the hub where you can fish it out with a bit of bailing wire. If you carry a spare axle and are lucky one can do it all in less than half an hour.