PDA

View Full Version : Trans case jumping out--

alaskajosh
09-07-2007, 08:38 PM
In my SIIA 109 the transfer case is jumping out of high range.

This car is new to me but the previous owner seemed to think this problem only began after mechanics installed a new (ser. III) transmission.
Also, the problem is much worse when the OD is engaged.. the OD was dry of oil when I bought it and I didn't know that so it's no longer an issue.. but that's another story:( .

Any help or suggestions GREATLY appreciated! I'm new to the forum and am anxious to get to know you guys--

greenmeanie
09-08-2007, 12:21 AM
I had this happen once and was predicting major surgery until I a simple fault.

The simple thing to check is the linkage that the red knob lever operates. The lever is anchored to the bell housing by two bolts. Mid way up the lever it has a large ball that sits in a tab that actuates the rods in the transfer case. The end of the lever has a large nut on it. CHeck these are all tight as if any are loose it gives enough play for the high/low mechanism to slip out.

There is also a detente ball that holds the selector rod in place. If the ball or rod is worn or the spring is weak this can also allow high/low to pop out. THe detente is under a brass hex just forward of one of the access plates in the top of the transfer case.

Finally, if the selector fork has been clamped to the rods in the wrong position it will not perform properly. The fork is accessed under the aforementioned plate on the top of the transfer case.

These are the things that you can check easily without performing major surgery on the box.

For anything more in depth you need a geen bible and perpare to get oily.

Cheers
Gregor

alaskajosh
09-09-2007, 01:30 PM
Thanks Meanie! I hope you're right.. I'll check it out--

alaskajosh
09-23-2007, 01:08 AM
err well--
I couldn't find anything loose externally.
The dentent ball and spring seem fine as does the notch in the rod it engages.
And I don't see how the fork could be mis-clamped as there is a notch in it that won't allow it to be clamped anywhere else.

Now I am starting to worry. Calling on the mechanical big guns here... Thanks gents-

LH Drive
09-23-2007, 11:19 AM
I had this same issue, it would pop out with a loud bang!!!! My Series came with mix brand uneven worn tires. They were all the same size printed on the side wall but some had more tread than others. I thought I was going to have major t-case problems but ever since I installed new tires that problem just went away.
Also check that the overdrive is fully going in and out. Mine had a thin sleeve on the OD linkage that was flipped in a way it would not allow the shift fork to fully go in. Just remove the center seat cover to get to this.

TeriAnn
09-23-2007, 04:20 PM
Try replacing the detent spring. Sometimes they get a little tired allowing them to pop out. Btween the gearbox & transfercase there are a few spings of different strengths. Some people get springs mixed up on reassembly, so it never hurts to start with a fresh spring known to be the correct one for the application.

I'm a fan of starting with the cheapest & easiest to get at solutions first and saving the hardest & most expensive to last. Don't be in a rush to drop the box.

alaskajosh
09-23-2007, 04:56 PM
That's a good idea, TeriAnn. I'll buy a new spring to rule that out.

LH: I barely noticed your point with the OD as you added it later but I think you may be on to something here.

As I've stated in other posts, I drove this thing away after buying it without checking all the 90w's (dumb) and the OD won't be giving me any more trouble as it's in a cardboard box enroute to the dump. But before it died I did notice that the T-case would jump out MUCH worse when the OD was engaged.. so I'm wondering if there may be a connection as you guessed?? I've had the rig down since then so don't even know if taking the OD out of the picture might have made a difference.

Thanks everyone!

LH Drive
09-23-2007, 05:28 PM
Don't send the OD to the dump,,I'll pay for shipping if it's a fairley Overdrive since I have one in my Series and could use it for future spare parts.

alaskajosh
09-23-2007, 06:55 PM
Will do LH.
There are some good (and what would appear to be expensive) parts that were undamaged. PM me with your shipping info and particulars.