PDA

View Full Version : Awesome D110

Momo
09-09-2007, 10:52 PM
On Saturday I spotted a very unique 110 in San Clemente, CA. It had a full length roof rack and was loaded to the gills with expedition gear.

Most importantly it was NOT an NAS 110. It was painted silver with black LR steel wheels and chunky AT tires, and looked well-travelled. It was LHD.

Does anyone know anything about this vehicle?

Thanks

Momo

funk49
10-05-2007, 03:45 AM
This sounds like the Black 110 that was owned previously by Diane Keaton, then by The Land Rover Group in San Diego and now by Stu Carpenter (Copley Motorcars, Boston) for personal use and not for sale. Supposedly only two were made, one for Diane...the other for Tommy Hilfiger, both painted at Hornsburg Santa Monica.

Would this be the 110? Chances are it is if you saw it in San Clemente. I was jealous when I heard about this beauty.

http://www.therovergroup.com/img/about/ABOUT-110.jpg

Terrys
10-05-2007, 05:08 AM
Supposedly only two were made,
http://www.therovergroup.com/img/about/ABOUT-110.jpg

I'm not sure what you mean by "made" as all 535, as imported, were painted Alpine White. It's true that AT LEAST 2 were painted black before being sold new, but there are rumored to be a couple less famous which were painted prior to original sale. By the end of 1993, dealers would do anything to get the last ones sold (including substantial discounts) It's hard to imagine that they weren't moving so quickly considering today's prices. Many are no longer white, and if someone at our host would finally get me that last piece of body capping, mine is about to become Conniston green, with white roof. With all the attention they get, at least from people who care, it's hard to believe that no one has noticed mine has actual working scuttle vents in the bulkhead, and I know mine isn't the only one.

Les Parker
10-05-2007, 11:48 AM
Ref the LH rear body capping, these are "No Longer Available" from Landrover, either in the UK or USA, we do have the RH side in stock.

:(

Terrys
10-05-2007, 04:21 PM
Ref the LH rear body capping, these are "No Longer Available" from Landrover, either in the UK or USA, we do have the RH side in stock.

:(

Thanks Les, but that's not the one I'm still waiting for. It's the RH vertical piece.
The NAS 110 side and rears were welded together in one piece. Since they didn't passivate the welds, and no longer galvanized them, that's where they all rust. I robbed a pair of rears off a parts truck.