PDA

View Full Version : Top options for a 109 IIa 3 door

chester rides again
09-10-2007, 09:00 PM
I'm just wondering if you can have all tops on one truck without any modifications:
1)Full hard top
2)Pick-up top
3)Full canvas top with side windows.

Jeff

PH4
09-10-2007, 10:00 PM
Yes.

SalemRover
09-10-2007, 10:04 PM
To have all that lying about will require heavy modifications to any wife unit in vicinity. Each wife model takes unique and peculiar modification to get it working so... best of luck to you. And you forgot my favorite top option... 4) none at all... windscreen down.

All bs aside.. short answer is yes.

-Jason

Momo
09-10-2007, 10:14 PM
The answer is yes, with one exception.

You need a tailgate when running a ragtop and a rear door when running full hardtop. That is unless you find a liftgate for the hardtop. If not you'll need to install the hinges for the door, and when you run a ragtop you can just put bolts there to blank out the holes.

I alternate between ragtop and truck cab and I have a full hardtop awaiting a good rehab. That's what I love about the Regular 109. It's the most versatile of the Series range.

Mo

rovertek
09-11-2007, 06:40 AM
you forgot the other option of a pick up cab with a 3/4 hoop set on the rear, all configurations are feasable it is only nut and bolt work, and the more you change tops the better and faster you will get at it.....

LaneRover
09-11-2007, 08:30 AM
All at the sametime!?!? ;-)

I concour on the non stationwagon 109, you can put all sorts of different tops (or none) and have the joy of 5 different trucks!

Of course the same thing can be done with an 88.

Brent

chester rides again
09-11-2007, 10:10 AM
you guys have hit the nail on the head as to why i'm looking for a 109 3 door. with a single car driveway and garage, i don't have alot of room for toys, so this truck fits the bill as convertible, truck, and sports car ;)

Momo
09-11-2007, 12:17 PM
Still one more configuration that is arguably the most fun: top off, doors off, windshield folded. It's what I imagine driving a '30 blower Bentley would feel like.
And I swear the 109 is faster that way!

http://www.thetravelinsider.info/2004/images/bentleyold1.jpg

http://www.spendamillion.com/items/31_1.jpg

jp-
09-11-2007, 03:54 PM
Momo,

More Bentley photos needed.

Momo
09-11-2007, 04:10 PM
Glorious, aint they Guvna

PH4
09-11-2007, 08:20 PM
Have a 1962 109 3 door with tropical top and Carawagon sides in the classified section if you are interested.

LaneRover
09-11-2007, 09:09 PM
And I swear the 109 is faster that way!

I am sure that it is faster! A guy I know in San Diego rolled his Defender. He ended up kicking out the windshield, buying some motorcycle goggles and driving home. With the windshield out he was getting 20 Mpg! So I do think that the aluminum brick would be quicker (with the right gearing) with the windshield down. It is quite fun to drive like that!

chester rides again
09-11-2007, 09:28 PM
Have a 1962 109 3 door with tropical top and Carawagon sides in the classified section if you are interested.

Thanks, but I'm up on the Canadien border and your price is a few thousand more than I'd like to spend. It does look like a nice truck though.:thumb-up:

scott
09-11-2007, 09:58 PM
i'm putting a safari rack over my canvased hooded 88. it'll be support by verticles that rise from the windscreen bolts and the 4 corners of the tub such that it doesn't interfere with the canvas. then i want to fix the piece that holds the leading edge of the canvas to the safari rack so i can drop my windscreen and leave the top up. object, completely open feel and shade to boot

SeaMiler
09-12-2007, 12:35 PM
Maybe I haven't looked closely enough, but why couldn't you take the top off of a 109 SW? (Without a saw of course...)

LaneRover
09-12-2007, 03:54 PM
You can take the top off of a Series I 107 stationwagon with no special work that would need to be done. Though officially 'you can' take the top off of a Series II and III 109 stationwagon you would have the inverted 'T' channels that the rear side doors bolt to sticking up that would have to be connected to the windscreen. Plus you would have to make rear side doors that the tops could be taken off of as the rear doors are one piece. You would also have to get a tailgate for the back.

So, has it been done? Yes but not without a lot of work.

With a 109 p-up you only remove and replace parts and bolt things on and off.

Brent

TeriAnn
09-12-2007, 11:54 PM
you forgot the other option of a pick up cab with a 3/4 hoop set on the rear, all configurations are feasable it is only nut and bolt work, and the more you change tops the better and faster you will get at it.....

And you forgot a bikini top covering the front seat but leaving the sides and rear open. Great for summer desert driving. Uses the first hoop

scott
09-14-2007, 07:34 PM
badvibes has reminded me that i left out the "Neked Bikini" option. i wish i had a good pic but you can kind of see it on my avatar. we pick the pd up in mossuri in october and drove it to albuquerque. it's a canvas hood with no canvas. we stopped off at a walmart and got a roll of duct tape and some clear heavy vinyl, the kind strange folks uses to protect a pretty table cloth. it was in the sewing section. a couple of snips and a bunch of tape and we added a solar heater to my truck! the vinyl was strectched from the top of the windscreen over the first hoop and down to the bulkhead behind the seats. it made it all the way to albuquerque and through that winter. jeff and i called it the neked bikini. cost $15

jp-
09-17-2007, 08:03 AM
...it was in the sewing section.

Scott, what were you doing in that section?

Now, if you found it in the guns department I would understand.

scott
09-18-2007, 12:07 AM
Scott, what were you doing in that section?

Now, if you found it in the guns department I would understand.

i started in hardware getting the duct tape and when i asked for some clear plastic stuff they sent me there, honest, i swear