PDA

View Full Version : tire and axle question

CliftonRover
09-11-2007, 02:26 AM
I would like to put 36" or 37" tires on my range rover classic. I have decided it is going to be a truck mostly for the trail. should I put junk yard dana 60's under it, or should I buy a locker and stronger axles? like from rover tracks or great basin rovers.

yorker
09-27-2007, 10:15 AM
How are you going to stuff 36" to 37"s under it???? Most people have enough trouble with 35"s. And if you have 10 spline axles forget it. :eek:

KevinNY
09-27-2007, 11:54 AM
Keith at Rovertracks has his front axle/CV combo on sale this month and his rear axles are the best price out there as well. Lots easier than trying to adapt a Dana axle housing. You will need to regear with that size tire as well. Of course about 5" of lift and a Sawzall will be required to make it all fit and then you will need to correct driveline angles as well. It is not a cheap proposition.

CliftonRover
10-02-2007, 09:12 PM
i have a set of series diffs in an extra set of rangie axel housings. would the series pinion gear be too weak? i would put a detroit locker in back and an air locker up front. I already have five inches of lift and I don't mint trimming my wheel wells.

Mercedesrover
10-03-2007, 12:50 PM
Rover diffs would last about ten feet on 37's. Best way out is a Toyota conversion with used 4:10 or 4:56 factory gears with E-lockers and Keith's axles. If you need a lower ratio, 4:88 and 5:29 are available in the aftermarket. Other than that you'll be swapping different housings. Complete L.C. housings or build a pair of D60s. Both are expensive and complicated compared to the Toyota conversion.

jim