PDA

View Full Version : Mysterious "clatter" 1998 Discovery

rwpgh
09-11-2007, 03:25 PM
I have 1998 Discovery, ~60k miles. Well maintained, combination of dealership and solid local garage. A 60K service was done by the dealership at 58k. Within the last two weeks I've noticed a 'clatter' almost like that of a busted shock. It's noticeable when the front tire hits small bumps but not large ones. The local garage could hear it - thought it was right front to right center (under the seats) but couldn't find anything. I originally thought right rear to under the seats but after looking for uneven or gravel roads I now agree with the garage. Shocks are fine, they couldn't find any play or obvious wear marks, etc. on the rack with a flashlight etc. Any ideas? It's driving me crazy/I don't want to part with this truck.

Thanks!

landrover77
09-12-2007, 03:13 PM
When you say clatter, do you mean clunks or clanks?
is it constant or intermittent?
Does the Rover shift OK
If something is rubbing then on larger bumps maybe rubs differently,
not creating the same sound. Look within the vehicle first (the seats and adjacent areas)
I assume you've gotten under the truck and looked at every poss.
stud or connection you can think to check including coil springs?
If not, just go under it and start looking and feeling around.
try and shake parts that could come loose/clean things if need be.
Good Luck and Keep the Rover if its that grown on you!

Mikes_97_Disco
02-19-2008, 07:05 PM
How old are your Catalytic Converters? I have a 1997 and just replaced them. They start to make a very annoying rattling sound when they get old.

Mike
1997 Disco

singingcamel
02-26-2008, 01:58 PM
How old are your Catalytic Converters? I have a 1997 and just replaced them. They start to make a very annoying rattling sound when they get old.

Mike
1997 Disco

sounds like a bad shock or frame bush issue to me

WaltNYC
10-12-2010, 10:31 AM
Same problem here. Assuming it is a shock and/or frame bushing....what am I looking at to repair?