PDA

View Full Version : Who's good at body work?

msggunny
09-13-2007, 08:09 AM
Ok, so i stripped down my disco's front end to see how much of work i need to do to it.

Basically i have to replace the whole drivers side inner fenderwell back to the firewall. And need to chop off the drivers side area of the radiator support, basically from the right of the place where it mounts to the frame.

Since i am an extreem novice in body work but learn quickly what are my options for putting everything back to gether when i get in the parts?

I will have to drill out the spot welds, do i have to reweld the parts on or can i bolt them on? (flame away)

also, while i was pulling some of the welds apart yesterday i noticed a fair amount of rust between some of the body pannels. How can i prevent this from reoccuring? Can i POR 15 it and then spot weld through it or does the metal have to be clean to weld?

Has anyone done this?? If so can you provide some guideance and prepare me for the PITGDMFA that it will most likely be?

Also, has anyone "reinforced" the stock bumper? I noticed how light and flimsy it was when i pulled it off last night. I would love to have a good aftermarket bumper, but right now its not in the fiscal planning for my Rover.

I can send pictures of the dammage when i get home or i can email them to you if you ask.

Thanks!

Ben Rover
09-13-2007, 12:14 PM
Can't help you just yet but I'm in the same situation. The inner fender wells are pretty much rotted straight through and I'm looking into a way to replace them.

TSR53
09-13-2007, 03:04 PM
Discovery I inner fenders are available, we had to go through the same issue on our RN Discovery I. Simple, just ordered up a new factory replacement part. Agree w/you, I occasionally watched the tech repair the inner fender when I had time (I think I took some photos - I'll look tomorrow). Please show us your re-building progress in detailed photos! Sounds great!

Hopefully this will help you out... (and not sure if you even need this part) We have some Discovery I "clearance" body parts in-stock. IIRC, there is a special drill bit you can buy to drill out the spot welds. Yes, re-spot weld, don't use bolts. I would use Waxoyl after painting.

ALR5717 PANEL, BATTERY, LH DISCOVERY I $12.00

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/images/Product/large/ALR5717.jpg (http://www.roversnorth.com/store/pc-7056-24-panel-battery-lh-discovery-i.aspx)

Leslie
09-13-2007, 08:33 PM
When welding, the metal needs to be clean, you can't paint it first. Weld, then paint.

The drill bit for drilling out spot welds is essentially a very small hole saw bit, with a spring-loaded punch in the center of it as a guide. Neat tool.

Good luck!

msggunny
09-14-2007, 07:14 AM
When welding, the metal needs to be clean, you can't paint it first. Weld, then paint.

The drill bit for drilling out spot welds is essentially a very small hole saw bit, with a spring-loaded punch in the center of it as a guide. Neat tool.

Good luck!

What about weld through primer?

Have heard that its the way to go. Im gonna check with the local body guys here.

I am using a 3/8' titanum tipped drill-saw. works prety good.