PDA

View Full Version : my two cents

Mike Koch
05-11-2006, 10:14 AM
I am on both sides of the fence with the existence of this forum.

While we here at RN aren't hyperenthusiastic about navigation and audio...perhaps others are?

My two cents: My Land Rover has no radio and never will. Rand McNally is my navigation system.

Mike

TSR53
05-11-2006, 10:43 AM

While we here at RN aren't hyperenthusiastic about navigation and audio...perhaps others are?

My two cents: My Land Rover has no radio and never will. Rand McNally is my navigation system.

Mike

Totally agree with your opinion. Keep it simple.

However, there are techno-gurus that thrive on digital information and would love to have it all. Example...

http://homepage.mac.com/dmonckton/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/2005-02-12%2014.56.01%20-0800/Image-2B44C3AE7D4711D9.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/dmonckton/LandRoverMacMini/PhotoAlbum12.html

landi41
10-30-2006, 01:07 AM
I use a Garmin GPS 76 and a Fugawi program on a laptop......for my sailboat

for the Discovery a map and compass will do............

Rovering1
10-30-2006, 10:22 PM
I have GPS directions through my cell phone and having to have to move a lot - it has kept me from divorce court (since I don't stop and ask for directions & I don't get lost).

Leslie
10-31-2006, 07:53 AM
Actually, just because of the dichotomy of it, I thought about building and installing one of those in-vehicle PC's into the Series....... :eek:

:nono:

Then decided nah, I'll just stick w/ the Garmin on the dash..... :p

nosivad_bor
10-31-2006, 08:46 PM

Mike

rand mcnally wont keep you from driving off of this in the middle of the night. if it wasn't for my gps i might have. the road ends there........

http://us.a2.yahoofs.com/users/pXgyLl9ekz1H/__sr_/8235.jpg?tkn=phAvBSFBQB56fWRj&

Stephen99D1
11-27-2006, 07:17 AM
This category of the BB may not see much use, but it doesn't hurt to have it here. There are some pages of DWeb that don't see much action, but where I've found good information on such things as camping gear. Series owners may not see much use for this page, but Disco and Classic owners might.

Though I must ask that the line be drawn on a forum that features 20+ inch rims, chrome, and other such "bling"... oh the horror, imagine a IIA 109 lowered with 22" spinners... the Escalade crowd can keep that stuff!

Rovering1
12-15-2006, 07:01 AM
With inflation, should it be more than $0.02?

Actually - according to ABC last night, much more than $0.02. With price of metal now, you get much more melting the pennies down than the value of the coin itself - but thats illegal now.

Rod Turnbull
12-15-2006, 05:16 PM
The US penny has been made out of 97.6% zinc and 2.4% copper since 1982... so if your looking for more value you need to melt down the 1962-1982 pennies. I wonder if you exported them to Canada and melted them down here... would that still be illegal? :rolleyes:

Leslie
12-15-2006, 09:54 PM
Folks in the backwoods around here have taken to burning the insulation off of wiring and selling the copper out of it, or stealing transformers for the metals, too... mostly in the *really* rural areas....

Leslie
12-15-2006, 09:55 PM
PS: use a pre-'83 penny when doing scratch-tests on minerals for hardness....

FWIW....

Rod Turnbull
12-15-2006, 11:02 PM
I know someone who has been burning copper wire for years (30+ or so) but man does it smell bad... the smell is not worth the money for the copper :eek:

As for the mineral testing, I finally broke down and bought a pick set for that... if you are stuck in a pinch and only have new pennies, you can always scrape the mineral across the new penny and should get a good idea of the hardness (compared to copper) if it can scrape the copper off the out side of the penny or not.

One of us is going to have to post Mohs hardness scale inn the "Off topic catagaory" LOL

Rod

Leslie
12-16-2006, 09:05 PM
One of us is going to have to post Mohs hardness scale inn the "Off topic catagaory" LOL

Rule of thumb if you don't have a test-set: thumbnail is 2 1/2, a pre-83 penny is 3 1/2, a piece of glass or a knife blade, 5 1/2... just approximates, can vary by the steel in the blade, (I mean, it's not like it's an *absolute* scale, it's just ranking things by which scratches what....).

Hydrated magnesium silicate, hydrated calcium sulfate, calcium carbonate, calcium fluoride, calcium phosphate, potasium aluminum silicate, root of the silicates (or since it isn't based on an O4, is it better classed as an oxide, silicon dioxide?), aluminum silicate w/ fluorine, aluminium oxide, and carbon.

heh heh......:thumb-up:

Leslie
12-16-2006, 09:16 PM
Ok, to make another post, but to get back closer to topic (lol....).....

I love maps. Always have. I love using a compass. But I can get around w/o either, actually.... kills the wife, but I can just jump in a vehicle and go, and end up wherever I need to be, no map needed.

But awhile back, the Army had done a study, and the end result that they concluded was, that no matter what method or how many different methods are used, about a quarter of the population will not be able to read a map.

When GPS units came out (before mapping versions), the problem was it just gave you your coordinates. Even people that could handle a road map, couldn't figure out where they were even with a GPS.

With the advent of mapping GPS units, though, it's like having someone stick their finger on the map for you to tell you "you are here". While this isn't that big a deal for me, I *really* see it as a boon for those who aren't as comfortable with a map by itself.

Should someone who is adventuring in the backcountry do without backup to a GPS? Absolutely not... those basic skills for mapreading are important to have to really understand what a GPS is doing for you.

I'm not talking about those urban units like the Nuvi... those are cool, give someone turn-by-turn directions; for those who are map-challenged, let's toss the map and just get it to tell you when to turn.... that works for them.

But for those who are using a mapping GPS with topo content on it, you still have to be able to make sense of it.... realize that all those contour lines converging together into one line means it's too steep to drive down, etc. etc...

FWIW.....

Rod Turnbull
12-17-2006, 12:13 AM
While we are on the topic of backup maps for those who can read one... (lets assume most of us in this forum) ...the tourist info booths have these great little maps that have an area 'marked out', to get you to most of the things you want to see while your on vacation... DON'T USE THESE MAPS AS BACK UP, get a real map that has a scale on it and has some basis in reality... most tourist maps are drawn to fit on the page, or look good, not all the street are listed due to limited space, the list of problems goes on.

-- so we are looking on the tourist map, last set of batteries are almost dead so the GPS is being used sparingly... "looks like next road on the left..." so we take it, it turns into a gravel road, then a dirt road (as we past the last house, a guy looks at us like 'where the h3ll are they going'), the dirt road turns into a path (the wife stops and gets out, 'your driving, this road is just too bad') -- at this point I'm sure we are not where we are suppose to be, but then things are just starting to get fun -- so the dirt path degrades, someone has obviously fell some trees into the ravine to get from one side to the other, on the far side the degraded dirt path turns into a grassy path with almost enough room to make it between the trees... soooo, we are driving through the woods, no path at all, up the hills down the hills, the sun goes down... and it's time to stop for a pee break, wife refused to get out because there are bears out there, bears who want to eat her while she tries to pee in the bush... I'll just let you all figure out why it's good to have a real map... LOL :rolleyes:

Ya gotta love rockhounding in Bancroft. :thumb-up:

Rod

Leslie
12-17-2006, 01:39 PM
Bancroft? Supposedly some funky stuff around there, what with the uranium.... makes for some unique specimens...

Rod Turnbull
12-18-2006, 08:05 AM
1,600 species of minerals have been identified in the Bancroft Region... it is the "Mineral Capital of Canada" and host to the Rockhound Gemboree near the beginning August... a great place to collect. :thumb-up:

Rod

Danny Lee 97 Discovery
11-08-2008, 05:50 PM
Very Interesting, I must say.

I have a 97 Disco I. The original head unit has bit the dust.

I just want a decent sound system to enjoy without spending big bucks.

Anyone got any reccomendations?

For the price stereo shops want, I could get a laptop, but I think that is overboard.

Anybody got any good ideas on getting a high end system from a salvage yard, that would be easily installed in the Disco?

Hell the system in my wife's ford Explorer sounds pretty damn good.