PDA

View Full Version : series IIa engine jingle rattle

ctrover
09-13-2007, 10:56 AM
I got rattling jingle noise coming fom the front my engine.She runs great but at idle she makes this jingle noise.The noise is loudest next to the oil pan.Is this my timing chain?Any suggestions?Its not a loose pulley or belt. thanks

daveb
09-13-2007, 01:08 PM
hey ctrover

I had the same thing. I went through the crank bearings for other reasons and that did not change anything. pulled the fan belt for a minute and that didn't help either so I assume it was in the timing. engine ran great so I left it alone. still going AFAI. That old truck is at the MAR every year and the new onwer hasn't done a thing to it. :(

dave

I got rattling jingle noise coming fom the front my engine.She runs great but at idle she makes this jingle noise.The noise is loudest next to the oil pan.Is this my timing chain?Any suggestions?Its not a loose pulley or belt. thanks

badvibes
09-13-2007, 01:09 PM
ctrover-

Is your truck running hotter than usual? I had the impeller on the water pump start to come apart on a truck and it made a noise kind of like you're describing. Truck was running warmer than normal as the pump was moving less water.

Jeff

Momo
09-13-2007, 01:47 PM
I had that same noise, turned out I'd hit a reindeer.

ctrover
09-13-2007, 02:06 PM
badvibes- yeah...when I first got the truck it was boiling hot so I took out the thermostat and that solved the problem. Im gonna take the belt off and spin the fan blade to see if thats it.Thanks

Bostonian1976
09-13-2007, 03:32 PM
my old Alfa Spider made this noise also when the water pump was going. I bet that's what it is...

Jeff Aronson
09-13-2007, 06:41 PM
The worst jingling I ever had on my II-A was the sound of broken piston rings. The car continued to run, albeit not very well, for 100 miles until I got to Rovers North, where it was repaired.

Water pumps will make noises as they begin to fail, but it's usually a whine or squeal, not a jingling noise. Do make certain that your fan is on tightly; if it's hitting the radiator shroud, it will make that sound, too.

Jeff

ctrover
09-13-2007, 08:11 PM
i took the belt off and spun the fan blade as fast as i could by hand but no noise.I did notice some play in the pulley so I pulled the fan blade and pulley off.I tightened the retaining nut on the waterpump bearing but there is still some play in the front wheel.I can move it a little.Its has some play and make a small noise when i move it a little.Im not sure if thats whats making the noise.i would have to see a new series waterpump and feel if there is any play in the bearing like I have on mine before I go ripping off the pump.Any suggestions?

daveb
09-13-2007, 08:36 PM
you can run the negine for a minute or two with the belt off. just watch the temp and see if it still makes the noise. if it goes away, buy a spare water pump for when this one goes, and call it good. simple. if it doesn't go away, then it is internal probably timing case and porbably not an issue if the motor is running well.

i took the belt off and spun the fan blade as fast as i could by hand but no noise.I did notice some play in the pulley so I pulled the fan blade and pulley off.I tightened the retaining nut on the waterpump bearing but there is still some play in the front wheel.I can move it a little.Its has some play and make a small noise when i move it a little.Im not sure if thats whats making the noise.i would have to see a new series waterpump and feel if there is any play in the bearing like I have on mine before I go ripping off the pump.Any suggestions?

ctrover
09-13-2007, 08:52 PM
good idea-i'll try that tomorrow

LaneRover
09-14-2007, 09:45 AM

So thats why I didn't get any presents last year.....

Santa
09-14-2007, 02:39 PM
So thats why I didn't get any presents last year.....

No LaneRover that's not why you didn't get any presents last year! :eek:

Santa :D

LaneRover
09-14-2007, 04:32 PM
No LaneRover that's not why you didn't get any presents last year! :eek:

Santa :D

True, true though I am not a member of the Muslim faith I can be quite a little *****e at times.

Brent

LaneRover
09-14-2007, 04:33 PM
True, true though I am not a member of the Muslim faith I can be quite a little *****e at times.

Brent

Wow! I guess I'll bet that I can say Sunni but for some reason I can't say *****e.

Brent

scott
09-14-2007, 07:37 PM

mine started after hit'n a cowboy who's spurs were sing'n merrily along