PDA

View Full Version : 1965 Proper Rear Lights

Hormel
09-16-2007, 12:19 AM
Hi, fairly new user hear. I have been working on the little stuff this month and am puzzled by my signals. I have a 1965 LHD 109 SW and I have never seen these brake and turn lights on a Land Rover. The brake/parking light look like something off of a boat trailer and the turn signals look like a small plastic dixie cup. Any help on what would be “proper” on a ‘65? Or are these just an factory oddity?

Thanks for your thoughts.
John

rovertek
09-16-2007, 07:58 AM
these are aftermarket lights the red ones are just that (trailer lights) and the clear are an old aftermarket replacement ive seen a lot on land rovers, it should have two red lights on each side, these are available from RN.....

4flattires
09-16-2007, 08:09 AM
What RoverTek said.

When you get a chance, show us some more pics of your Rover. Filling out your profile is a help to all as well. It's always nice to see someone wanting to put their Rover back to the way it came from the factory.

Jeff

sayers
09-16-2007, 12:47 PM
Jeff, you are my kind of rover owner, keep it all factory :thumb-up:

TeriAnn
09-16-2007, 06:29 PM
these are aftermarket lights the red ones are just that (trailer lights) and the clear are an old aftermarket replacement ive seen a lot on land rovers, it should have two red lights on each side, these are available from RN.....

Optionally the turn signals can have amber lens's.

Brake & tail lamp goes on top & the turn signal goes on bottom.

Someone likely did funny things to your rear wiring.:eek: Unless the white lights underneath are turn signals.

Hormel
09-16-2007, 10:20 PM
Jeff,
Thanks for reminding me on the profile. Indeed I am going back to stock, with the exception of maybe adding an overdrive, upgrade the brakes, and someday a galvanized frame (in my dreams). The LR is in pretty good shape but I recently lost a tooth in first gear so while sourcing a replacement transmission and funds I have been working on the small stuff. I will put together a better picture and description of the beast and its oddities on another thread.

TeriAnn
Yep, the lower white lights are my signals. Attached is a picture of the front lights. Orange bulb inside the larger lens for the turn signal and clear in the smaller. I like your site, lots of good information.

John

Bostonian1976
09-17-2007, 07:04 AM
Optionally the turn signals can have amber lens's.

Brake & tail lamp goes on top & the turn signal goes on bottom.

Someone likely did funny things to your rear wiring.:eek: Unless the white lights underneath are turn signals.

hmm my '67 has amber turn signals on top and brake lights on the bottom - is that incorrect?

TeriAnn
09-17-2007, 10:51 AM
Jeff,
TeriAnn
Yep, the lower white lights are my signals. Attached is a picture of the front lights. Orange bulb inside the larger lens for the turn signal and clear in the smaller.

Your fronts look unmolested and I see you have the now hard to find boomerang wing mirror arms. Take care of those.

Bostonian1976,
I may have gotten the vertical order backwards. I'm not sure it matters a whole lot to anyone other than rivet counters though. Mostly I wanted to mention that turn signal lenses could be amber.

4flattires
09-17-2007, 09:17 PM
I have much work to do to my wings to make them look at straight as yours. Great pic.

Nice shape!

Jeff