PDA

View Full Version : Steering stabilizer

JimCT
09-17-2007, 05:16 PM
Our RR has one...what is the masses opinion about adding one to our '69 ambulance?

Hormel
09-17-2007, 10:35 PM
I just took mine of my 109 last week. No particular reason other than I had it up on jacks and noticed how much resistance it added when turning the wheel. I thought it might be contributing to the fact my steering wheel can turn 3/4 more in one direction than the other but it did not. I have not noticed any difference when driving but it does make parking slightly easier.
John

yorker
09-18-2007, 08:23 AM
I don't see much reason to have one- it is just one more thing that can go wrong and get damaged. The system is designed fine to work without one.

LH Drive
09-18-2007, 09:06 AM
I had a dual setup on my Diesel Scout ll and it got rid of the small side to side play on the steering wheel so it did help. My Scout also had power steering so I did'nt notice any difference with or without them on my steering.

alaskajosh
09-21-2007, 10:38 PM
Well, I splashed out on one today. My Landy has Scout power steering so LH's post helped me make up my mind. I'm leaving no stone unturned in search of steadier steering.

FWIW, I went with the steering stabiser kit from a 1980 Bronco, NAPA part #SA1943, $52. It looked pretty universal with everything I'd need to make it work. Just have to drill some through-holes in the frame to mount the (supplied) stationary bracket. The other end mounts via U-bolts to the drag link.