PDA

View Full Version : Weird: Can't get my gas cap off

thixon
09-17-2007, 08:31 PM
The new (but old) IIa I just bought, and am now tearing apart to fix, came with an aftermarket gas cap painted black. It turns freely in both directions. It appears to be spring loaded, and can be pushed in and turned about one full turn in either direction. However, once you've found the stop, It will no longer turn. The SIII I used to own had a cap that simply spun off (no spring loading). Any advice? Adding fuel when I get it running would be a plus.

Silly question, but hey, I'm one step away from dynamite!

Thanks,

Travis

scott
09-18-2007, 12:27 AM
do ya have the filler where the 3 lugs are on the inside of the tube? the cap has a thinner profile. there's a thing that looks like the inside part of the mercedes benz logo attached to the inside of the cap that reach out to catch the 3 lugs on the inner lip of the filler tube. maybe this is malfunctioning, still attched to the cap but spins freely thus not detaching from the lugs.

thixon
09-18-2007, 05:52 PM
not sure which one I have. I just got the truck, so this was the first attempt at opening the cap. I still can't get it to budge. I'm about to take the grinder to it.

scott
09-18-2007, 05:59 PM
wtch for sparks! remove the fill tube, it only takes a couple of minutes