PDA

View Full Version : Best front mat option?

alaskajosh
09-19-2007, 10:46 PM
I am looking for a good front mat option. Ideally it would be well form fitted, cover not only the footwells but the transmission hump, and be of a padded/sound deadening nature.. not just a sheet of rubber.

I saw something like this at British Pacific but the price tag ($500-$600) scared me away.

What if have currently is a ghetto hodge podge of sound proofing and ill fitted rubber mats.

Thanks for input!

TedW
09-20-2007, 04:05 PM
Stock #MTC3336. Call Les to see if they still stock it. Cost me $250 or so, but that was back in the '90s.
Thick one-piece molded black rubber covers floors, tunnel, and way up the firewall, with extra dense-foam insulation under the tunnel & firewall for sound deadening. Works terrific. Kills much of my OD & tranny whine.
I can tell that you are concerned about the appearance of your sled, so you'll be pleased to know that it looks great and has the sporty Land-Rover oval logos on each floor area.

Momo
09-21-2007, 09:05 PM
The molded mat you mentioned is an Exmoor Trim product, and yes it's pricey, but I choked up the money and don't regret it. It is the last mat you'll ever buy- nice and thick, hard wearing, and fits perfectly with no flopping or curling. Good sound deadening too.

alaskajosh
09-21-2007, 10:30 PM
How does it differ from the one Ted mentioned? The one Ted steered me towards looks pretty nice for less than half the money.. but maybe I'm missing something? Maybe the Exmoor one is twice as good?

Thanks--

TedW
09-22-2007, 03:49 AM
They are advertised quite a bit in the British Land-Rover mags. I would strongly consider one if I didn't already have the County mat.
Keep in mind that the mat I have is made for Defender, but happens to fit the Series almost perfectly. That said, the Exmoor product (as I understand it) is molded to fit the Series exactly. The photos I've seen make it look almost vacu-formed to the truck. Very clean and tight. It may also cover a bit more of the footwells than mine does.
You can always order the County mat and send it back if you aren't happy with it once you get it.

Momo
09-23-2007, 02:38 PM
Sorry Josh, I should have been more specific before...

The Exmoor mat is an integrated floormat/tunnel cover, and also includes a molded seatbox cover and a firewall cover. You can see it installed in my 109 thru the link below. Except for the firewall portion.

Ted has a great option too, I'm not knocking it. There's a genuine type available that also covers the seatbox (maybe that's an extra cost piece?)
it's really nice too, a friend of mine has one. But they seem soft and more prone to tears and abrasion divits.

Click on the click to see the installed Exmoor mat and how-to. For some reason my blog has been corrupted so some pics are missing and things are jumbled but you'll get the idea.

http://aluminumfriend.blogspot.com/2007/05/installing-molded-rubber-floor-mat.html

kevin-ct
02-25-2010, 06:47 AM
The molded mat you mentioned is an Exmoor Trim product, and yes it's pricey, but I choked up the money and don't regret it. It is the last mat you'll ever buy- nice and thick, hard wearing, and fits perfectly with no flopping or curling. Good sound deadening too.

X2 I would buy it again! :thumb-up:

crankin
02-25-2010, 07:44 AM
The exmoor mat is super nice and i would certainly drop the cash on it again. It’s a lot thicker than the other mats on the market and forms much nicer to the floor and tunnel.

Atlantic British doesn't carry them as of the beginning of the year. Or so they said...

British Pacific still carries them.

Here is a site with moer detail
http://aluminumfriend.blogspot.com/2007/05/installing-molded-rubber-floor-mat.html

daveb
02-27-2010, 10:54 AM
the county mat referred to is a genuine LR product and I'm pretty sure the one for series trucks is NLA. There were two parts to it, one for the firewall and one for the floors and transmission tunnel. I have the floor bit and it works great. I can't imagine the defender ones would fit very well at all. The exmoor one is readily available from a number of sources here and overseas. I'v enever seen it in oerson but I hear they work well although I can't say I am a huge fan of the way they look, based on the photos I've seen.