PDA

View Full Version : Overdrive Question New User

64 Wagon
09-21-2007, 05:28 AM
Hello, I have just bought a 109 wagon and have some questions. ( I will break them into separate treads )

I am hoping some one can explain the overdrive shifter. How it works, is it in the case, and what happens if I forget to shift out of overdrive and gear down?

Thanks for your help

Clive
09-21-2007, 07:32 AM
Do you know what kind of overdrive? there are at least four types out there....assuming it is Fairey (Superwinch briefly) or Roverdrive the shift lever is on the right side of the transmission tunnel and you engage the clutch and push the lever forward, and disengage the clutch. The lever passes through a neutral position. To disengage it is just the opposite.
Most people only use the OD in high range 2WD in 3rd and 4th. Some say that using in lower gears puts unnecessary strain on the unit and thus wear, but it can be used in any gear, hi or lo and reverse....and it can be used as a gear splitter. But it comes into its own mostly in 3rd and 4th as it gives that higher speed ~28% at a given rpm.

Clive
09-21-2007, 07:35 AM
Hello, I have just bought a 109 wagon and have some questions. ( I will break them into separate treads )

is it in the case, and what happens if I forget to shift out of overdrive and gear down?

Thanks for your help

....it is a bolt on unit separate to the T-case. Not a problem if you forget to shift out. if it is a Fairey unit check it for oil regularly. the sump is miniscule.