PDA

View Full Version : Mileage per Gallon, New User

64 Wagon
09-21-2007, 05:32 AM
Hello, I just bought a 109 Wagon and the Gas gage does not work. Is this common? What is the usual MPG on the 2 Liter engine with no Modifications?

Is there a clock gage that can be added on?
How about a Tach Gage that is fairly original?

Bostonian1976
09-21-2007, 07:31 AM
gas guage not working is very common.

I think usually this stems from a bad ground in either the sender in the tank or the ground at the guage.

Clock guage- Land Rover didn't put any in that I know of (could be wrong), but you can look for old Smiths guage clocks from other British cars of the era that will fit in very well. You can usually find these on Ebay among other places

Clive
09-21-2007, 07:53 AM
Expect 14-18 mpg depending on driving style and engine age. In low range this will drop to 8-12 mpg. Some people are lucky and can get a bit more.

My experience of non -functioning guages it is most commonly the sender unit in the tank which is an easy fix. just get a new one and swap them out.

Yes, other gages would work too....

Re the tach. there was only one original tach ever made for a Series truck that I am aware of, made by Jaeger and a sample can be seen here. If you find one you will be INCREDIBLY lucky.

http://wave.prohosting.com/leepher/pangolin/library/gauges/gauges.html

I have used one of these units below and they are pretty good as they have the appropriate range 0-5000. Series trucks rarely go over 5K rpm, if they do something is probably about to blow.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=ATM%2D2697&N=700+115&autoview=sku

If money is not a limiting factor you can have a Smiths style custom made with the LR logo here...(looking at $500 ish for a tach :eek: )

http://www.caigauge.com/Smiths_Classic_Instruments.htm

LaneRover
09-21-2007, 01:21 PM
My 1965 109 SW gets about 12 mpg, it has a roof rack on top.

My 1969 109 P-up gets 15-16MPG - no roof rack and it does have an overdrive.

I think my 66 '88 gets about 15 but I have never seriously checked the mpg on it. It does have a roof rack.

LaneRover

Jim-ME
09-21-2007, 01:54 PM
I get around 16-17 mpgs with a softtop 88 running 33X9.50 tires using a GPS to measure miles driven and speed because the larger tires make the speedometer inaccurate. I have had great luck with Auto-meter gauges in past vehicles and plan to install one of their tachs in my Rover if I don't convert to diesel power. In my first Rover I had the tack mounted in a cup on the steering column. I'm not sure if I would mount a tach this way again but I have always found a tach more useful than a speedometer for both engine longevity and better fuel mileage.

ducttape
09-21-2007, 03:46 PM
I now get 13 or so after deflating my tires to 25 front and 30 rear. When I got my 1967 109 exMod they were at 50! and I was doing about 15 mpg.

What I spend on gas I save at the chiropractor.

I hate to sound shallow and one dimensional but that original Series tach is tres ***y!