PDA

View Full Version : Adding Reverse Light on the 69 IIA?

roverva
09-23-2007, 07:18 AM
Can you add a reverse light in the rear for safety?

Is there is switch in the shift area for this already?

Thanks

LH Drive
09-23-2007, 09:12 AM
Yes you can add a Reverse light.. Unless your Series came with these installed ( I can tell from your other photo post they did'nt) you will have to add them. On a series 3 the reverse switch is located on the top RH side of the transmission next to the Reverse shift rod. On a IIA the Reverse switch is mounted on the back side of the Shift tower. There should be a 1/2 hole for this pre-drilled. Both switches are under the trans cover so that will have to be removed to get to them/install. RN sells the reverse light switch and assembly for the Series models. In order to hide the wiring you will need a different rear light cover that also hides the reverse wires inside the cab.

LH Drive
09-23-2007, 11:01 AM
My Series3 came with a SIIA shifter/shift tower so I don't have to deal with the plastic insert that fails on a Series 3. You can see the hole where the reverse switch would mount on an SIIA.

daveb
09-23-2007, 12:06 PM
howdy

where are you located in NoVA? I just did one of these on my truck. Took me two days. Had to pull the whole dash apart etc, drill and tap the shifter tower, and locate a good mounting point. Used about 3 miles of split loom. :)

the one is used is made by IPF and comes with a DPDT switch that allows the unit to be used only when in reverse, always on, or not at all.

So far I would recommend this unit. If you need help installing something let me know.

rgrds
Dave in DC

Can you add a reverse light in the rear for safety?

Is there is switch in the shift area for this already?

Thanks

roverva
09-23-2007, 01:04 PM
Hi. Thanks for all the info.

I am in Fairfax area of VA. Right off 66 and Fairfax County Prkwy.

I just found out it might be leaking gas, I went to fill up the tank, and I saw it on the ground on the left side of the truck. The filler is on the right side.

It is RHD. But it does not leak sitting idle. Any thoughts?

sayers
09-23-2007, 02:44 PM
just a thought on your gas leak. I went to fill up my 74 88 and overfilled it. the gas went up through the vent tube which goes under the left seat and came out on the ground, just a possible idea.

roverva
09-24-2007, 07:19 AM
I noticed that you are probably right. It only happend when I was filling up. It is not happening any more.

Thank you all for your help...

LaneRover
09-24-2007, 10:18 AM
I know that rather than put in a back up light, there are some who just wire in a switchable work light onto the back of their truck. That way you can REALLY see and you can choose whether or not you want to turn it on. It is also more useful if you need to load a bunch of stuff into the back of your Rover at night.

Brent

LH Drive
09-24-2007, 11:49 AM
LaneRover is right about mounting a work light. You can also turn it on without having the truck on. I'm looking into installing one myself. This would be the least expensive way to light up the back of your Series and these work lights look good on a Series Rover.

daveb
09-24-2007, 11:57 AM
yup. although a work light ideally gets mounted up high and the reverse light down lower. and if it bright enough to be a good work light then you might get yelled at for using it in traffic. I suspect that is what will happen to me as the IPF unit is *rather* bright. No matter as you don't really need backup lights in town other than to let others know you are going to be coming at them. :) . I mostly bought mine for offroading etc.

LaneRover is right about mounting a work light. You can also turn it on without having the truck on. I'm looking into installing one myself. This would be the least expensive way to light up the back of your Series and these work lights look good on a Series Rover.

roverva
09-24-2007, 02:33 PM
I need to find a reliable local shop for the Series IIA ?

Any suggestions and recommendations.