PDA

View Full Version : Parting out issues....

xrover
09-24-2007, 10:06 AM
I recently posted my 72 Series III up for sale on the RN Series for sale section along with some others and am surprised at what I have seen for responses.

I have a fair amount of parts (fairey OD, rebuilt engine, additional top, boxes of seals, gaskets, lights, emblems, etc...)

The responses coming in are amazing, I have offers of 2K to 3K for the whole parts lot and offers of 3500 to 5K on the truck. I say offers but, it's more of a "WOULD YOU TAKE", if you know what I mean...

Some of them by THE SAME INDIVIDUALS!!!!

I have it listed for 7900.00 or best offer for everything.

Should I risk selling off the parts or the truck and be stuck?

Check out the thread and give me your opinion

http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2037

I am planning on picking up the 82 Stage one I am purchasing in 2 to 3 weeks and could use the extra cash to complete the purchase. (not to mention the garage space) So, if your interested, dont be shy...

LaneRover
09-24-2007, 10:27 AM
I wish I was looking for a truck! But I already have too many!

It sounds like a good deal and I hope that you get some interest. It would certainly be cheaper to buy your truck rather than doing your own frame over restoration!

Brent

xrover
09-24-2007, 11:30 AM
I agree. Also, the bulkhead was patched and a galvanized frame done in the mid 90's. I bought it because I thought it was a lot for the money.

We will see soon if others feel the same way.

P.S. I do have the bottle open ready to install. :thumb-up:

daveb
09-24-2007, 12:17 PM
Hi

Coupla things to think about. You JUST posted the ad to sell it on the 19th.
Don't expect a mircale turnaround. It can take month sto sell a car like this, or it can take days. Let your ad sit up for a while. If you were depending on the sale in order to get the Stage 1 than you will need to lower your price for a quick sale.

Aside from a fe wbig ticket items it is hard to tell what is in the parts boxes. To be blunt, most LR's come with a pile of spares and most of it is usually surplus or junk. The soft top and OD wil fetch good money but how much? Rebuilt OD's are pretty cheap @ RDS.

The truck may be soild but it could use some cleanup. Points against it?

non-rover color
quick paint job that excluded the engine bay
mismatched taillights
holes in rear body sides
rusted springs
other undercarriage "cosmetic" issues

additionally, your photos don't show much. there are more photos of the parts than of the truck. you didn't take the time to rotate the portrait format shots so people have to turn their heads in order to barely be able to make out what is going on. that just kinda says "I don't care about you, just buy my truck."

pull the floormats out and show us the firewall, bottoms of the doors, some of the other areas underneath.

also, does it run??? your description is unclear about that.

tell us and show us what is goo about your truck. we don't care what the PO "said" or "did 2000 miles ago," we care what is happening NOW.

my $.02.

PS I sold my truck in less than a week. you price is on the high side but not unreasonable. but if you want $8000 you need to make it look like an $8000 ride.

best of luck
dave in DC

I recently posted my 72 Series III up for sale on the RN Series for sale section along with some others and am surprised at what I have seen for responses.

I have a fair amount of parts (fairey OD, rebuilt engine, additional top, boxes of seals, gaskets, lights, emblems, etc...)

The responses coming in are amazing, I have offers of 2K to 3K for the whole parts lot and offers of 3500 to 5K on the truck. I say offers but, it's more of a "WOULD YOU TAKE", if you know what I mean...

I am planning on picking up the 82 Stage one I am purchasing in 2 to 3 weeks and could use the extra cash to complete the purchase. (not to mention the garage space) So, if your interested, dont be shy...

xrover
09-24-2007, 12:21 PM
Well put. I will see what I can do...

thixon
09-24-2007, 02:28 PM
How much for the canvass top and hoop set?

xrover
09-26-2007, 09:02 AM
I would consider offers on the parts lot since I have a few interested in just the Rover.

I will try to get a more detailed listing of parts up by the end of the day.

That being said, It does include a rebuilt engine, Fairey OD, hydrallic pump for plow (etc...), and canvas top with hoop set.

xrover
10-01-2007, 08:28 PM
What should I be looking to get for the soft top with hoop set, the Fairy OD, and the rebuilt engine?

I dont have any documets for the engine, the soft top is in fair to average condition (does not leak) and the OD is still in the box from RDS.

Thanks...

LH Drive
10-02-2007, 09:50 AM
A few years back I purchased a pair of front and rear OX lockers for some dana 44 axles. I only installed the rear OX locker and did a complete rear axle rebuild at the same time. I never installed the front locker as I wanted to build a stronger SOA axle housing for it. Later I sold the IH Scout without the new in box $900 OX locker as the new owner only offered me $200 for it. I tried to get ($800) close to what I paid for it since it was New and never installed. Even offered it to small independent local 4X4 shops but that was a joke as they would only give 50 - $100 bucks. One year went by and I still owned this locker. It was never in my way and I looked at it like money in my bank. A friend had list the OX on e-bay for me with a reserve set at $750. Still i would only get bids up to $350. I could'nt believe this and started to wonder was it even worth the $900 I had paid for it. About this time the owner of the truck I had sold called me to inquire about the locker. I did'nt want to take that much of a loss but I had no use for it anymore. Sold it for $375.
I'm not saying your parts are not worth much just plan on keeping them for a while if you're asking close to full value. The way I see it, Its only worth full price or more to the person that needs it today. Everyone knows where to find New stuff and expect to pay full price. Some sit and wait for good deals even if they dont need the part today.
Maybe its just my luck.

graniterover
10-02-2007, 05:58 PM
The reason it's not selling is that it's way overpriced.

Here are some better pictures of the truck:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7779895@N02/sets/72157600306363695/

A few items of note, and apologies if they've been fixed:

Swivels are shot
axles leak a lot of oil
fuel tank leaks
tub is shot beyond repair
springs are shot
doors are rusted
carb leaks
steering box leaks
floor of bulkhead is good, but door pillars might be rusting behind the fix
exhaust is rusted
xfer leaks
trans leaks
valve cover leaks
oil pan leaks

The exact same truck was for sale for a very long time at a lower price, with most (all?) of those spare parts.

Bottom line is that it's just not even close to an 8k truck.

Sell the od
sell the hood and hoops

the motor is worth a few hundred bucks, but who knows how good it is since you don't know who built it or when

The other bits are worth surprisingly little when you add them up.

Then sell the truck to someone who knows what they are getting. It's a good base for someone who's willing to put in a lot of work, and the truck can be driven while they work on it. You will probably do ok separating the stuff.

Mark

xrover
10-02-2007, 07:48 PM
Hello Mark...

Well, where to start. At the beginning I prefer. I have received offers, Just not what makes sense based on others for sale currently.

It seems you had some interest in this series prior. Didnt buy it but, spent some time investigating it. I did the same with 3 other series for sale and found this one to be a solid vehicle and good purchase.

It is a good base for someone looking to have a series they can drive and work on at the same time. A vast amount of the items you mentioned have been repaired or, the parts are ready to be installed.

As for the tub,, SHOT??? I have seen many rovers in simillar condition that have been purchased for what I am asking (give or take)

As for the OD, engine, hoop set, etc... someone looking to save themselves countless hours searching for the right parts will appreciate having the stock. I already know those are the most valuable items.

PRICE.... Everything in life is negotiable Mark! If your interested in the series MAKE ME AN OFFER!!!!!

Lastly, If I was to invest 5K in the series to make it as perfect as possible, would you think it's worth the 12 to 15K that others are getting for theirs is such shape?

Thanks for the pics.... I stink at taking pics, clearly :thumb-up:

Have a good day and make me an offer...

graniterover
10-02-2007, 08:40 PM
I don't like SIII's or I would have made an offer when I looked at it.

I think you'll do fine if you separate the stuff. Or you could sell the top, od, some misc crap and keep it for tooling around town. It's nice to have more than one to chose from.

Mark

alaskajosh
10-02-2007, 11:06 PM
I expressed an intrest in the OD via PM. That said, I need someone to pipe up with a price range or appraisal. I wouldn't know where to start.

xrover
10-03-2007, 07:34 AM
I have someone interested in the whole parts lot. Once I hear back from him (in or out) I will make my decision about parting it out.

It's just alot less time and energy to deal with it all together. I do see your point though.