PDA

View Full Version : Right hand exhaust on NAS 88

sayers
09-25-2007, 12:09 PM
Can anyone tell me why some of the exhaust pipes came out on the right side and some on the left on NAS series. Thanks for your help. I have seen this on a 1967 and a 1974.

daveb
09-25-2007, 01:50 PM
never gave it much thought. I've had both. Liked the ones that came out the driver's side so you could see if anything bad was happening.

Can anyone tell me why some of the exhaust pipes came out on the right side and some on the left on NAS series. Thanks for your help. I have seen this on a 1967 and a 1974.

Terrys
09-25-2007, 02:06 PM
Liked the ones that came out the driver's side so you could see if anything bad was happening.

Yeah, like clouds of blue smoke if you had a hole in your piston.

The original mufflers used on Land Rovers had their inlet and outlet on the same end (left end). The British felt it was best to direct the exhaust to the side of the road( pedestrians be damned), rather than the clouds of vapor rising up and obscuring the vision of those behind, when you were at a traffic signal.
That was the only muffler available when I got my first series truck back in the 60s. Now, we have available to us in the US, the in-on-the-left, out-on-the-right muffler, and presumably for the same reason.

daveb
09-25-2007, 08:46 PM
lol. good one. though I think you are thinking of a hole in the water jacket?

have you ever had a holed piston? I haven't to be honest but i don't see how it would cause tons of smoke, so much as just lost power.

not trying to be smarmy, just curious.

dave

Yeah, like clouds of blue smoke if you had a hole in your piston.

The original mufflers used on Land Rovers had their inlet and outlet on the same end (left end). The British felt it was best to direct the exhaust to the side of the road( pedestrians be damned), rather than the clouds of vapor rising up and obscuring the vision of those behind, when you were at a traffic signal.
That was the only muffler available when I got my first series truck back in the 60s. Now, we have available to us in the US, the in-on-the-left, out-on-the-right muffler, and presumably for the same reason.

Terrys
09-25-2007, 10:26 PM

have you ever had a holed piston? I haven't to be honest but i don't see how it would cause tons of smoke, so much as just lost power.

dave
Black Smoke= Excess Fuel
Blue Smoke= Burning Oil
White Smoke= Water

As for holing a piston, yes, I have, and as oil goes up into the chamber, and out, it is burned in the exhaust manifold and pipe, with the results like a destroyer in the north atlantic in 1944

Didn't you just say this? "You can lose a cylinder completely on a 2.25 and barely notice"

daveb
09-25-2007, 11:27 PM
dear sir.

yes. that is correct.

best regards,
dave

Black Smoke= Excess Fuel
Blue Smoke= Burning Oil
White Smoke= Water

As for holing a piston, yes, I have, and as oil goes up into the chamber, and out, it is burned in the exhaust manifold and pipe, with the results like a destroyer in the north atlantic in 1944

Didn't you just say this? "You can lose a cylinder completely on a 2.25 and barely notice"

a109
09-27-2007, 05:58 PM

dave

Yes I have had a holed piston and it pressurizes the crank case blowing great clouds of oil smoke from every orifice.
John

Grover73
09-27-2007, 08:36 PM
me too. Put the whole exhaust valve through the top of the number 4 piston on I-95 in baltimore. Shifted out of Overdrive and still held 60 mph untill I reached safety. And yes you are right oil comes out of everywhere.

scott
09-29-2007, 06:34 PM
i recently had an exhaust system fab'd. went w/ a flex section right after the manifold to reduce the stress caused by vibrating pipes, 2" instead of 1 7/8". i went with the be nice to pedestrians and routed it left...did i go to far?
http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=362&stc=1&d=1191108871

LH Drive
09-29-2007, 07:03 PM
Nice burn guard on that exhaust. What about welding a flap cover so rain water does not enter like on a tractor or a drain valve at the bottom bend.

scott
09-29-2007, 08:37 PM
drain valve...nice, i'll put one in

badvibes
09-29-2007, 11:56 PM
dude-

That is seriously medeval looking. I think you should get some old leather flying goggles and drive with the windscreen down all the time.

J

sayers
09-30-2007, 01:33 PM
How deep of streams and rivers can you ford with it ?

scott
09-30-2007, 03:34 PM
i haven't snork'd the carb, ignition or drive train yet but when i'm done i'd guess fording of 40" of standing water will be doable