PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question - IIA RHD--->LHD Conversion

Liondog
09-26-2007, 09:32 AM
Very new to the world of vintage Land Rovers. Excuse the potentially stupid question. Learned a lot from searching/reading this forum and other sites. One thing I have not been able to find....discussion on converting a IIA from RHD to LHD. How hard? How expensive? Tips/Lessons Learned? Available parts? Is this something that "ruins" an original UK model? Contemplating my first purchase and evaluating options.

Soon to join the fold....tips/guidance/education welcome.

Thanks, Liondog

PH4
09-26-2007, 09:44 AM
I have two RHD Rovers and there is no more difficulty driving a RHD versus a LHD. I would strongly advise you to at least drive a RHD a bit before attempting to switch sides. I believe you will find the switch not neccesary. However, if you do decide to do so, there should be a fairly abundant amount of info on the net and from members of this board. Best of luck.

sven
09-26-2007, 09:48 AM
My advise would be to locate a donor LHD rover. All those parts could nickel and dime you to death. Another idea would be to find someone willing to swap parts. Maybe someone wants to convert LHD to RHD....you never know!

KevinNY
09-26-2007, 09:49 AM
Just buy a LHD if thats what you want, you will spend more than it's worth to get it swtched over.

JimCT
09-26-2007, 09:58 AM
I wish I had my RHD 109 back. Easier access to the master cylinders, more foot room, the heat of the exhaust is not beneath your feet, and I am sure there are more things to make them better.

LaneRover
09-26-2007, 10:02 AM
I wish I had my RHD 109 back. Easier access to the master cylinders, more foot room, the heat of the exhaust is not beneath your feet, and I am sure there are more things to make them better.

I agree on all of this. You also definitely get a lot of looks with the top off and a dog - or kid - in the passenger seat. To me the only thing that is harder is pulling in and out of palces that require you to take a ticket. ALso, if you have both a RHD and a LHD Rover you will constantly go to the wrong door on each vehicle to get in!

Brent

thixon
09-26-2007, 10:12 AM
I drove one as a daily driver for six years. Wish I had'nt sold it. Righty's are great. No issues driving it. You'll get used to it in no time.

jp-
09-26-2007, 11:19 AM
I am thinking of converting my 109 pickup to RHD. We could maybe swap parts. Shoot me a PM if interested.

LH Drive
09-26-2007, 11:36 AM
I am thinking of converting my 109 pickup to RHD. We could maybe swap parts. Shoot me a PM if interested.
There you go..No stupid questions asked here. Some how we are all in this together as our neighbors don't drive Series Land Rovers and you can't just ask for parts at your local Auto Part store counter.

roverva
09-26-2007, 05:30 PM
I have a RHD 109 SW and I love it, it makes it more unique.

Only thing is my wife hates in sitting in the passenger seat on the left side.. :)

Terrys
09-26-2007, 06:08 PM
Lots of truth in all the above. I laugh at myself regularly (hell, why not every one else laughs at me) because I have a RHD Stage One 109 in the yard (son's), a LHD 109 ExMod, a RHD TD, RHD Mini Cooper, and a few other LHD landies.
The post about the PITA when you pull up to the toll booth is true. If you have a RHD, visibility is an issue in a soft top with ity bity windows, or a HT with no windows. Driving one is a piece of cake.
Changing hands on a series 3 requires an entire new lower dash, but the binnicle can go from side to side. Not a problem on a 2A. That's where the easy stuff ends.
The bulkhead will have punch out panels to change the pedal boxes from side to side (RHD clutch master is infinately easier to change)
Then you'll need the other hand steering box.
Now to the steering relay; Older, original frames only have the relay hole on the side for which it was intended. Replacement frames from some manufacturers have a relay hole on both sides of the front crossmember.
Next you'll need to change the steering link arm on the hubs. They're not swapable, so you'll need new ones.
There's a host of little things that need changing, like the mud shields (not swapable) brake lines, clutch master to slave line, and handbrake. The brake lever is handed and not swapable, but some people don't bother changing it anyway. That gives your passenger something to do. Lastly, the heater blower needs to go to the other side, and they are not swapable either.
As most have said, it is not a project to undertake half-heartedly, it requires alot of time and lots of parts(=$$$)

Liondog
09-26-2007, 08:19 PM
Wow, great stuff. Thanks guys. Much to think about. Need to do some digesting of the great input and some poking around. All the insight is very much appreciated.

I Leak Oil
09-27-2007, 06:19 PM
Well to do it you'll need to move the steering relay from the right side of the front chassis cross member to the left side. Easy if you have a replacement chassis with relay mounting locations on both sides, more involved if you have the original chassis (read cutting and welding). You'll need to source LHD steering arms for the swivel balls too. Not sure if the steering box is side specific or not. Anyone on this? Other than that all the other parts that mount to the bulkhead swap easily enough. Don't forget the brake and clutch lines too. I think the RHD shifter is different also. Probably easier to just purchase a LHD truck to start with.
Jason T.

Tony DII
11-08-2007, 11:52 PM

Jp,

I would be interested in a swap.. Just tore down my RHD 109 Pickup and looking to covert to LHD..

SwampRat
11-09-2007, 07:02 AM
All benifits of RHD are true, I just can't get used to shifting with my left hand. If your doing a frame over or total resto, go for it. You are going to totallly disassemble the truck anyway, putting it back on the other side is no big deal. If not, I can't immagine going through all the trouble on a good truck.