PDA

View Full Version : Mess with points..now no spark!

Dubv1980
09-29-2007, 11:01 PM
Ok..
So I was working with a buddy on my Series III trying to fine tune the carb, and we couldn't trace the cause of an uneven idle, so I thought I would clean up and re set the points. After doing that, I am now getting NO spark, and the truck obviously won't run. Any ideas? Could I have screwed up the points that bad by just sanding them a tiny bit? The ground wire is connected, etc. Any ideas on stupid things to check are more than welcome!

Chris

scott
09-29-2007, 11:45 PM
check to make sure the wires that need to be isolated are. if you have the condensor wire making contact with parts it shouldn't your spark will not happen.

Dubv1980
09-30-2007, 12:32 PM
Which wires does the condensor wire need to be isolated from...I think this might be my problem. Is there an insulator on both ends of the shaft that secures the points to the distributor?

Chris

Momo
09-30-2007, 01:31 PM
Hmmm. Well...

Check the coil leads. If no spark at the distributor it's the first thing I usually check.

Did you reinstall your rotor? Easy to forget. Is it seated? If you have an extra rotor try it in case the old one is burned out.

Did you remove the points or just slip the sandpaper in between the contacts?

Were the points tightened well enough to start with? Maybe they have moved out of gap while you were sanding.

The condensor wires- ground, coil wire, breaker wire- check all for seated connections and check ground for accidental contact with surrounding bits.

Gotta be something minor you forgot jiggled loose.

scott
09-30-2007, 03:31 PM
these are not points i have in mine. i have the blue points. but the principle are the same. the red arrow points to the insultion of the springie (please excuse the technical terminology) part. the condesor wire and the low volt coil wire should make contact with the springie part but not any other part
http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=364&stc=1&d=1191183823

Donnie
09-30-2007, 07:43 PM
these are not points i have in mine. i have the blue points. but the principle are the same. the red arrow points to the insultion of the springie (please excuse the technical terminology) part. the condesor wire and the low volt coil wire should make contact with the springie part but not any other part
http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=364&stc=1&d=1191183823
Hi, here is a little info on points; they should be filed with a point file & cleaned after filing to remove any filings. Sanding with alum. oxide or silicone carbide paper can & will mostly leave some contamination behind. Also point to ponder, pun intentional, is if there is much metal transfer from one side of the contacts to the other== faulty condensor. The condensor acts like a shock absorber to soften or rather to remove some of the amps i.e. current from the points. If they are just turning grey, all is well, if they are blue or transferring metal the cond. is faulty. The cond.grounds only at the screw.

Dubv1980
10-01-2007, 12:10 PM
So many good ideas here...
When I get home from work this afternoon, I'll try and look at all these things. Sadly, I think I have dropped one of the insulators on the gravel floor of my barn..grrr...so I have to find that before the thing will work. I have a feeling I contaminated the points with the sandpaper, and then screwed it up again when I removed them, and then reinstalled without the insulators. I do stupid things when I'm tired working on the truck at 10:30 at night....*sigh*...

Chris

LaneRover
10-01-2007, 02:03 PM
I do stupid things when I'm tired working on the truck at 10:30 at night....*sigh*...

Chris

Wow! You're lucky! I do stupid things when working on my truck lllllooonnngggg before I am tired!

Brent

Dubv1980
10-04-2007, 02:48 PM
Well the truck is running...we went through everything..and I mean everything. I think it was a bad wire (the ground inside the distributor) but the other one tested ok on a continuity test..so who knows. Anyhow, its ready to roll for the Mid Atlantic Rally...thank goodness.

Whew.
Thanks for everyone's ideas.

Chris