PDA

View Full Version : Series 1 Fuel Line Pressure Problems

cryptopal
10-01-2007, 11:39 AM
I have a 2 ltr series 1 engine with a correct Solex carb. The problem is that the fuel drains back beyond the electric fuel pump after shutdown. I then have to prime the line to get positive pressure. Is there a remedy to this issue. A mouthful of gas is not my favorite flavor.:eek:

jp-
10-01-2007, 12:04 PM
What?

Any good electric fuel pump is self priming. You aren't talking about a mile of fuel hose, just a few feet. An electric pump will fill the line in a few seconds. Aside from that, there would be more than enough fuel remaining in the carburetor float bowl to run the engine until the fuel could reach it. I think you have misidentified the problem.

Is the float bowl empty upon startup?

cryptopal
10-02-2007, 10:25 AM
I have a 2 ltr series 1 engine with a correct Solex carb. The problem is that the fuel drains back beyond the electric fuel pump after shutdown. I then have to prime the line to get positive pressure. Is there a remedy to this issue. A mouthful of gas is not my favorite flavor.:eek:
The Rover sat in the barn for some time and would start and run then stop. I discovered the fuel pump wasn't pumping properly. I replaced it with an aftermarket pump (like you would find at the local auto parts) This was apparently a high pressure pump as the fuel pumped so furiously that it forced the float to remain open. Then, when cranking the engine It seized from the cylinders being full of fuel. Even the carb. was full to the top!
After clearing the system and installing another pump from a different manufacturer the rover fires and runs quite nice with plenty of pep. The problem now is that upon shut-off the fuel drains back beyond the pump (mounted in its proper location). I have to use a primer bulb to get the fuel past the pump up to the carb. before it will ever re-fire. My only guess is that the float is remaining open at shut-off (negative pressure) allowing fuel to drain back to the tank.
I have cleaned the carb. bowl, inspected and tested the float needle valve and all is perfect there. Any ideas???

singingcamel
10-02-2007, 11:13 AM
i really don't thinks its a float issue, there should be enough fuel in the bowl to start.it won't all drain out.
try running a in line fuel filter if you don't have one.
the other thing you may want to try is parking it on a hill ,nose down .
should'nt drain out then .........................................sorry

cryptopal
10-02-2007, 11:17 AM
Maybe I will try a different fuel filter that may help.
I guess I need to repair the transmission brake now! Any other ideas?

jp-
10-02-2007, 11:35 AM
The fuel in the float chamber cannot drain back to the tank. It is impossible, unless you have turned your Rover upside down in a ditch, in which case I am sorry.

You do not need to park the Rover on a hill, you need to fix the problem. If you let the Rover sit for a few days, is the float chamber empty when you try to crank it? If yes, then your float chamber has a leak, or your carb needs replacing.

The first thing to do is disconnect the fuel line and make sure that fuel is coming out when the pump is running. If the pump is putting out a decent amount of fuel and the truck still will not run, you have carburetor issues or electrical issues.

cryptopal
10-02-2007, 01:11 PM
No, There is plenty of fuel in the float bowl BUT maybe the valve on the float is left slightly open at shut down allowing fuel to drain back. That is the only cause that makes sense to me. I am going to try to shut down at idle and not at rev. to see if there is a difference. This one has stumpted me. btw, Thank you for your continued responses.

jp-
10-02-2007, 04:19 PM
The valve that lets fuel in is at the top of the "bowl." Getting the fuel out would be like pouring water uphill. That's the whole purpose of the bowl, to hold enough fuel for continued running and during startup. I repeat, if the bowl has fuel in it at startup and the truck will not start, the carburetor is not working properly (metering the fuel well enough, clogged jets, etc...), your air filter is clogged, your timing is off, or your not getting a good spark (or any spark).

singingcamel
10-02-2007, 06:02 PM
The fuel in the float chamber cannot drain back to the tank. It is impossible, unless you have turned your Rover upside down in a ditch, in which case I am sorry.

You do not need to park the Rover on a hill, you need to fix the problem. If you let the Rover sit for a few days, is the float chamber empty when you try to crank it? If yes, then your float chamber has a leak, or your carb needs replacing.

The first thing to do is disconnect the fuel line and make sure that fuel is coming out when the pump is running. If the pump is putting out a decent amount of fuel and the truck still will not run, you have carburetor issues or electrical issues.

THE PARKING ON THE HILL WAS POSTED FOR FUN< DON"T GET YOUR UNDIES BUNCHED UP

LaneRover
10-03-2007, 07:55 AM
THE PARKING ON THE HILL WAS POSTED FOR FUN< DON"T GET YOUR UNDIES BUNCHED UP

Actually I have 73 Ford F-250 that I have to park downhill if I am going to leave it for more than a few days. Otherwise I have to 'prime' the pump by dumping (a little) gas down the carb.

Brent

jp-
10-03-2007, 09:56 AM
Camel,

He might have taken you seriously.

Lane,

You're not priming the pump, you're priming the carb. There's a difference. Is your choke system working? Or is the carb leaking?

LaneRover
10-03-2007, 12:43 PM
Lane,

You're not priming the pump, you're priming the carb. There's a difference. Is your choke system working? Or is the carb leaking?

I believe that if the pump won't pump nothin then one would be priming the pump to get it to pump gas to the carb.

It is a case of the gas in the carb evaporating over a number of days. If I am starting it the next day I can park it any way I want.

Brent

jp-
10-03-2007, 12:55 PM
Actually I have 73 Ford F-250 that I have to park downhill if I am going to leave it for more than a few days. Otherwise I have to 'prime' the pump by dumping (a little) gas down the carb.

Brent

Dumping gas down the carb is essentially the same thing as choking the engine to get it to start. That's why I say you are priming the carb. To prime the pump (i.e. if you just put on a new pump, or if you ran out of gas) you would connect the lines and manually actuate the pump lever (mechanical pump) until fuel comes out the line. Then the pump is primed.

Your gas should last for weeks or months in the float bowl. I doubt you have an evaportation problem. You most likely have a leak.

jp-
10-03-2007, 01:02 PM
If on the other hand, the pump "won't pump nothin," that would manifest itself in very poor running, or failure to run at all. If the engine runs rough or will not rev smoothly upon acceleration, then you definitely have a fuel pump problem.

jp-
10-03-2007, 01:06 PM
Electric pumps are self priming, as are mechanical pumps but they take longer.

LaneRover
10-03-2007, 01:25 PM
Dumping gas down the carb is essentially the same thing as choking the engine to get it to start. That's why I say you are priming the carb. To prime the pump (i.e. if you just put on a new pump, or if you ran out of gas) you would connect the lines and manually actuate the pump lever (mechanical pump) until fuel comes out the line. Then the pump is primed.

Your gas should last for weeks or months in the float bowl. I doubt you have an evaportation problem. You most likely have a leak.

You are correct in that to get the pump to prime I need to put a bit of gas down the carb thus 'priming' the carb - my bad!

Basically if there is no gas in the line the engine won't turn the pump fast enough to pump fuel. Putting a bit of gas in the carb gets the truck to run enough to create enough suction to get everything moving. Once there is gas the truck runs like a dream. That of course is the only dream as the dream is surrounded by other nightmares like no power steering, iffy brakes (getting fixed this week) a bad side gas tank that will be replaced, horn? what horn?

I may have a leak somewhere up around the carb but I have never seen or smelt it. Of course it might be covered by the continuing problem I have had with the side tank. Either way, my driveway points downhill and the truck is used for Lumber runs or when I need to carry a bunch of crap so I deal with its 'foibles'.

jp-
10-03-2007, 02:06 PM
All I was trying to get you to realize is that an empty float bowl after two days is not normal. If the pump is taking too long to get fuel to the carb you could have a secondary issue, such as a leak in the line coming from the gas tank to the pump. A leak in this line, could let the entire fuel line drain out, which might cause longer than normal pump priming when attempting to start the vehicle. This still does not explain the empty float bowl, though.

Donnie
10-03-2007, 10:00 PM
I'm comin' in late on this one , but I'm in totat agreement with JP and will echo all that he has said. & add that a $40 Facet ele pump is available from NAPA stores...I think there are 2 models: 1 to 3 # & 3 to 7 or some variable of these #'s.. Just get the LOW pressure one an move onward...........Donnie