PDA

View Full Version : can anyone provide "spanner" size guide?

alaskajosh
10-03-2007, 12:18 PM
Whit, BA, BSF, UNF, UNC, AF, WTF...

Anyone able to provide a tutorial here? Thank you--

rovertek
10-03-2007, 02:07 PM
are you looking for wrench sizes? most nut and bolts will be american with exeption of the trans and very few other items wrench sizes are oba, 1ba,2ba,3/16bs,1/4bs,and up,the thread pitch should be measured with a thread pitch guage,wrather its whitworth, brittish standard,national fine or national corse will be determined by the guage.

graniterover
10-03-2007, 03:38 PM
most nut and bolts will be american

Not on a series one.

Where are you in so nh? I'm in Nash area.

Mark

alaskajosh
10-03-2007, 08:24 PM
wrench sizes are oba, 1ba,2ba,3/16bs,1/4bs,and up,

I found these in my Snap-On catalog and can get a complete set (3/16"-7/16") for about $250... or about $37/wrench.

One example that I found last night was the bolts holding the swivel ball to the axle housing. Not 5/8" not 11/16". In this particular case 15mm fit perfect.

greenmeanie
10-08-2007, 10:14 AM
American! On a Land Rover! I think not - it's imperial thread if you please :)

I'm lazy so I just bought a metric set of spanners and they fit just about everything on a late SIIA. 11mm does 1/4, 13mm = 1/2, 14mm = 5/16, 16mm = 5/8, 19mm= 3/4. I forget the equivalents to 10, 17 & 18mm but they have their uses too. I think that covers all the regular stuff but you'll need to get a dedicated socket for the hub nuts (plug - see our hosts) and crankshaft end nut. Obviously a good set of imperial spanners will do just as well - I'm just a European so had to go metric.

WHen I overhauled the front axle I ditched the BS hardware and replaced with grade 8 UNF bolts which fitted exactly and work well.

The sum total is that you do not need to spend bucket loads on getting the fancy Whitworth tools.You do not even need to buy a dual set of spanners in case you have a later metric head or whatever.

Save the money and buy a good torque wrench instead.

Cheers
Gregor