PDA

View Full Version : 6 Cylinder - Any Good?

Liondog
10-05-2007, 03:08 PM
Shopping for my first Land Rover Series. What is the general opinion of the 6 cylinder available in some of the 109's? Reliability? Power? Parts Availability?

I searched the forum, but could find no discussion on the relative merits or faults with the 6 cylinder.

Any help with my education would be much appreciated!!!

Liondog

I Leak Oil
10-05-2007, 03:59 PM
The power isn't that much better than the 2.25, they don't tend to last long and parts are tough to find new. Certainly the 2.25 is much more practical. But if you find a good truck and it happens to have a 6 cyl. that runs well then go for it! Chassis and bulkhead condition is much more important when looking for a truck to purchase.
Jason T.

LaneRover
10-05-2007, 04:06 PM
And if the engine craps out you can throw in a Chevy straight 6 (with some mods) but I believe you get to leave the bulkhead alone.

Brent

Terrys
10-05-2007, 04:26 PM
Actually the 2.6 was a nice engine. Very smooth, but as said, parts are harder to find today, and they don't have gallons more HP than a good running 2.25.
What is nice about the NADA trucks (those with 2.6) is that that particular bulkhead will allow you to put the 5 and 6 cyl MB diesels in without mods. Jim Young was working up an adapter for the 300 TD engine, and already has one for the 4 pot MB engine.

Mercedesrover
10-05-2007, 05:26 PM
Like Terry said, these trucks lend themselves for engine adaptions very nicely. The 3.0L Benz diesel will fit with no mods to the bulkhead.

And actually Terry, my adapter works with both the 4 and 5 cylinder diesel. They are basically the same engine with one having an extra cylinder. Most of the 5cyl engines were turboed where the 4cyl wasn't (at least not from the factory).

The second adapter I'm making mates either engine to a NP435 4-speed and will also fit a Borg Warner T-18 4-speed. More than an adapter it's actually a complete bellhousing. Here's a pic.

Jim

http://www.seriestrek.com/109/adpt4.JPG

alaskajosh
10-08-2007, 11:47 PM
I wasn't aware of the bulkhead difference between the 2.6 and the 2.25.

What are the differences?
How can I tell which I have?

I've got a Robert Davis special in there now and don't know what was original. I think it did have a 2.6 in there originally. Will the bulkhead tell that tale?