PDA

View Full Version : 89 Classic not running at operating temp?

KelseyM
10-05-2007, 05:39 PM
I have an 89 classic which I am concerned about the temp of the engine. The engine ran a little hot for about two months until I fixed the Heater core, and thermostat. Now it runs to cool! I drive the car for a good hour and it still is about half way to the center, then it sometimes goes to normal temp, but will go back and forth. However, if I stop at a long light, it starts to run hot, untill the fans go on. Ive flushed the system but it still does it. Does anyone have any sugestions, thanks.

phoenix
10-05-2007, 08:38 PM
sound like you may have trapped air in the cooling system, also Have you replaced the thermostat? I may be sticking closed.
what I normally do with older rovers, i take a long thin funnel and stick it onto the far rigth top of the rad. (bleed plug), close all other fills and top off thru funnel while running the engine to operating temp, at the same time turn the heater button to hot.
as the engine begins to bleed its air, you will see the level rise and lower
until there is no more air left in the system, install the plug and test.
there are a few other ways of accomplsing the same task but this ahas worked for me day in day out.

KelseyM
10-06-2007, 10:18 AM
Ok, I will bleed it again, and I did replace the thermostat about a year and a half ago. Thanks!

joshua.mcguoirk
10-11-2007, 04:47 PM
I agree with Phoenix, the system sounds to be air bound.

However, the manual states that the fill tower should be used. This is located along the RHS of engine compartment going to heater matrix.

I remove the cap (whilst cool) from the radiator and and run the engine while filling the tower and monitoring the radiator level, keep the heat on high in vehicle. Remember to button everything up tight and top off expansion tank. 50/50 mix is ideal.

KelseyM
10-14-2007, 10:40 PM
The system has no air leaks, however I did not Mix the Antifreeze, could that be a problem?