PDA

View Full Version : clutch pressure wows

Gregory Wojcik
10-08-2007, 09:59 AM
I went to start my series IIa this morning, and there was no clutch pressure. I checked the resivoir and it was empty. I added some brake fluid to the resivoir and nothing happend. I cant find a leak (that does not mean there isnt one) but the fluid I added is still in. when I press the clutch in noting happens. Do I need to prime the system or something??

Thank you

Greg

greenmeanie
10-08-2007, 10:16 AM
It's a hydrailic system so you will need to bleed the air out of it in the same fashion as you would with the brakes. There is a bleed nipple on the clutch slave cylinder.

Cheers
Gregor

Gregory Wojcik
10-08-2007, 12:41 PM
Well I took the floor and the gear box tunnel off, tried to bleed the clutch and broke the bleed valve off the slave cylinder!! Now I need a new slave cylinder, since the car is appart, is there anything else in that area that I should replace??? any advise??

Thanks,
Greg

greenmeanie
10-08-2007, 02:33 PM
As it says in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Don't panic!

Unless you have damaged the housing you only need to replace the nipple. Apply some PB Blaster and then get an easy out that has the four facets instead of the the reverse twist. A few taps and some twisting and it will come out. New nipples are cheap and easy to get.

Of course, if you have a leak it is in all probability the slave cylinder at which point you either buy a new one or save some money and get an overhaul kit.

I have a late IIA and am able to bleed the clutch without removing the interior. It takes a bit of reaching and a torch but I have been doing it about once every two weeks for a few months now as it has been too hot (that's my excuse.) to get under and replace the slave. I have got it down to about 5 minutes each time.

Cheers
Gregor.

jp-
10-08-2007, 05:09 PM
As it says in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Don't panic!

Cheers
Gregor.

Unless of course, if you have lost your towel. Then, panic.

scott
10-08-2007, 05:23 PM
when i r/r'd my slave i rotated it 180 so the bleeding doesn't require as much reaching. i also cut a 7/16th box wrench in half and keep it just for that bleeder valve.

badvibes
10-08-2007, 05:43 PM
Just did the clutch slave replacement. Check the flexible line that connects to the slave also. Mine was weeping fluid and needed replacement also.

Jeff

alaskajosh
10-09-2007, 12:31 AM
Since we're on the subject, what are some preventative maintanance steps for the Slave cylinder area? I am going through everything on the car right now and this area is coming up.

I intend to replace the rubber hose but I've also read about linkage holes ovaling out and such. And tips/thoughts?

singingcamel
10-11-2007, 10:42 AM
most common sighn of clutch master clyinder failure is a wet floor inside your cab ,below the clutch pedal. next failure is the slave cylinder and its connections, look close there.
also the metal clutch and brake reservoir will leak from the bottom of it..
also the flex lines near the slave clyinder will become weak and drip..good luck..
www.singingcamel.com (http://www.singingcamel.com)