PDA

View Full Version : ABS Warning Light

CamofCT
10-08-2007, 10:56 AM
The ABS Warning Light on my '91 Great Divide has been staying on -- though not all the time. The brakes generally feel okay, but on occasion -- and usually when the warning light is off -- they feel "squishy" especially when stopping and turning to the left at the same time. A buzzing sound of the actuator pump sounds as well. The light then comes on and stays on but the brakes feel fine for the duration. The brake fluid is at the correct level.

I've read that the relay -- I'm assuming this is the green relay –– found under the driver's seat may be the culprit which would be an easy fix. But before replacing the relay -- or having a mechanic do a diagnostic at $70+/hour –– is there another possible cause -- and hopefully easy fix?

Thank you in advance.

joshua.mcguoirk
10-11-2007, 04:52 PM
I have not heard of this condition associated with a relay. Check the sensors. This usually can be done without a lift. Sometimes without pulling the wheels.

While looking underneath by the calipers you should a wiring harness going to the sensor. It is as easy as pushing the sensor into the socket firmly. This usually solves the "light" condition.

Otherwise, you may have a bad sensor. Cha-Ching.

CamofCT
10-13-2007, 01:39 PM
Thank you for the reply.

Yes, a sensor was disconnected to the rear right brakes and the end of a sensor on the front right brakes is completely missing. These appear to be "pad wear warning indicator" sensors. (I didn't see matching sensors on the left side, front or rear.) I reconnected the rear sensor. During a test drive, the ABS light went off as it should, but came back on shortly thereafter.

My Haynes Service Manual seems inadequate in locating and describing sensors. However, a google search has led me to www.landrover.ee with a detailed selection of PDfs, specifically, http://www.landrover.ee/est/files/manuals/cars/rrc/rrm_brakes.pdf.

I'll change the Hydraulic Pump Relay next. Hopefully that will work.

CamofCT
10-15-2007, 09:30 AM
For those interested ... I replaced the ABS Pump Relay ($30 part). The warning light goes off and stays off. The occasional "squishiness" when braking has stopped too. Hopefully that's solves my problem. Now on to the next ... leaky sunroof ... loose steering ... the list goes on and on.