PDA

View Full Version : Heater Box

Jim-ME
10-09-2007, 06:28 AM
Although my 88 was built in 64 it is really a variety of years. My heater box has rotted out. I was able to pick up a Series III heater box which I hope I can use but I'm not sure. The distrubution system that came with it was a tube which ran under the dash which I believe was used in 69 to 71. It had a small door on the drivers end which was opened and closed by hand and then another lever which controled the passenger heat and defrost. I don't think it has all the parts to mount it properly. Does anyone have any experience with this type of heater system and could you send me some pictures of how it all goes together? I've checked my shop manual and all it shows is the stuff under the bonnet and nothing inside. Thanks,
Jim

J!m
10-09-2007, 11:18 AM
My 71 has this heating system.

Under the dash is a metal box type duct with the little door on the end to give the driver heat. There is a lever with a choke-cable like arrange,ment that opens another door to feed air to the defrost vents. The front of the metal duct is covered with a strip of vinyl covered padding to protect your legs.

Two plastic tubes run up to the dash vents to defrost the windows.

Operation:

In defrost mode ("Screen" I think it says on the control) the air only goes to the screen.

In "heat" mode, the heat is diverted to the passenger foot well, and, if you open your little door, you get a faint bit of air flow as well.

I found that if you set it to defrost, and open the little door, you get the most heat out of it on the drivers side, as it is slightly easier to go out the end than to go up the tubes.

Only in the summer will you get enough heat...

LaneRover
10-09-2007, 12:54 PM
Only in the summer will you get enough heat...

Whether it is the summer or the winter my passengers tend to ask, "Is the heat on?"

Brent

singingcamel
10-11-2007, 09:44 AM
i have a distrubution box if you need one?

TedW
10-11-2007, 09:39 PM
I have the same system in my '70 and it cranks out the heat. Sounds to me like ol' J!m needs to flush Mr. Heater Core - after which his passengers will be complaining of excess toastiness.