PDA

View Full Version : Anyone gotten rid of your points and condensor?

thixon
10-09-2007, 09:08 AM
If so, what system did you go with? I know there's one that fits on top of the original Lucas dist., but I'm not sure were to get it or how well it works.

Thanks,

Travis
'66 IIa 88" (Still being re-assembled...Sadly)

Clive
10-09-2007, 09:52 AM
I did - about 1.5 y ago I went Petronix and love it. Haven't had to touch the distriburtor or points since....others have had the set up for 6 y or more and have had no problem. But a few have found petronix electronic ignition unreliable.

The Petronix system will be damaged if you leave tha ignition in the "on" position without the engine running - at least that is what their literature claims. This may be a reason why some people have found them unreliable.

BackInA88
10-09-2007, 10:18 AM
I bought a Disco-Tech electronic distributor off E-bay for $90 complete.
It even came with a cap and rotor and plugged right in.

Out with the old in with the new in about 10 minutes and have never looked back.

Steve

J!m
10-09-2007, 11:04 AM
I am using the Jacobs system.

One thing I like about it is that the points remain, but now they are simply a low voltage switch, so they last forever.

Minor adjustments are needed to verify the gap, but moe like annually rather than every 1000 miles or less.

Another nice feature is that if the module dies, I can simply pull the fuse, cross the connections and I now have a gold old-fashioned point ignition system to get me home. Never have to worry unless you break the distributor.

The stock distributor is retained, so you can hide the fancy new parts somewhere like the seat box, and keep the vintage look under the hood.:thumb-up:

Jim-ME
10-09-2007, 11:15 AM
I too went with the Disco-Tech distributor and am more than happy with it.

luckyjoe
10-09-2007, 02:38 PM
More discussion on this topic here:
http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1503

Regards,

gudjeon
10-09-2007, 05:41 PM
Stock distributor with Petronix inside. Put it in over a year ago. Set it and forget it.