PDA

View Full Version : FS: 4 Land Rover three spoke alloy wheels with tires.

DGG
11-06-2006, 08:59 PM
I just bought an 88 RR classic. It has dark grey three spoke alloys on it plus the spare. I plan on replacing them with steel wheels and mud tires. Just wondering if anyone might be interested in buying the 4 wheels with two year old Mastercraft Courser AWT 235/70/16's. The spare wheel will also be included in the sale. It has a micheling XPC on it(old). The wheels are in very good shape, never off road. Looking to get $300 for the complete set with tires.
Doug

Leslie
11-06-2006, 09:08 PM
Out of curiosity, what is the spare wheel like? Don't care about the tire.

Location?

DGG
11-06-2006, 10:53 PM
To tell you the truth, I only saw the inside of the spare wheel because I haven't taken it out yet, so I don't know for sure what it looks like.
I'm located in upstate NY about 60 miles west of Albany.

DGG
11-09-2006, 02:10 PM
$280, plus the spare wheel!!! Anyone interested?

Paul Grant
11-09-2006, 06:04 PM
I hate to tell you but those old three spokes aren't worth much at all. At one point I had well over a dozen and couldn't give them away. Now if you had TWR's, Tornado's or Cyclone's at least people want those.

DGG
11-09-2006, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the good news paul:rolleyes: . Is it because they are ugly, or are they not good off road wheels. I'm turning my 88 RRC that I just bought into a trail truck, and thought that they would not be good trail wheels, so I was going to get steel wheels.

Paul Grant
11-09-2006, 07:57 PM
Steel wheels are definitely stronger for an off-roader. I do remember hearing that the good thing about the alloys was they if you did bend one on the trail, it was a lot easier to get it back in shape with a BFH than a steelie. Take that for what it's worth.

I think the reason there is almost no demand for these three spokes is that there are just so many out there and, yes, they are ugly. I get good money for every set of TWR's, Tornado's or Cyclone's I sell but, as I said in my previous post, I can't give the three spokes away. It's similar to the Castor's that were common on the Disco's. Those wheels don't sell well either. I guess it's a matter of 'familiarity breeds contempt.'

Leslie
11-09-2006, 08:06 PM
Well.... why don't you want them??? ;)

Seriously, I *really* dislike the three-spokes, I can't blame you for wanting rid of them. Not because they're "bad wheels", I just really prefer either about any of the 5-spoke styles (tornados, castors, whatever), or steels (Series or Defender, Disco steelies, but not so much the wagon-wheels), and have never felt any love for the three-spokes.

But as Paul said, they're common, and mostly unloved. If someone has a Rangie that they're trying to keep stock and bent a wheel and need it replaced, they might be interested in it, but for the most part, they're not in high demand.

Some of the Rangies have a steel wheel as a spare that I like, but not all; many (most?) had another alloy, too. And, sometimes you'll find one type of a steel wheel, or another, and not the particular one that I like. That was my reason for asking about the spare... not that it'd be worth a lot to me, but maybe something, if it was the right one. No big deal, I've got five already, but an extra or to might not be bad to have in the garage.

FWIW....

Rod Turnbull
11-10-2006, 12:53 PM
I know that the steel rims can be bent back into shape with this method but wouldn't the alloy rims crack? :confused:

Rod

Leslie
11-10-2006, 06:10 PM
I know that the steel rims can be bent back into shape with this method but wouldn't the alloy rims crack?

Quite likely. Alloy rims are not as malleable as steel rims. A steel rim may bend for a lighter hit where the alloy won't bend... but a harder hit may bend the alloy a bit, but could likely crack it instead. And if bent, it could crack when being straightened. Not necessarily, but a "gentle enough" of a bend might be able to be bent back and still be serviceable.

FWIW....

94rangie
11-12-2006, 09:32 PM
Well, I guess I'm somewhat of a purist. I like the 3-spokers. I use them on my modified '94 for off-roading. I also have a set of castor 5-spokes that I'm thinking of having powder coated black for my next set of tires. On top of that I have the set of chrome TWR wheels that originally came with my '94 and are currently mounted on my '89. I may be parting this one out soon if anyone is interested in the TWR wheels. The chrome is a little tired though.

I am looking for a fith castor wheel.

Larry M.

yorker
11-14-2006, 03:33 PM
Doug just use them with your offroad tires. Since there is no market for them you really won't have to feel bad if you frig them up in Robbie's creek or something. Take the $ you save and put it towards some traction device or one of the Equipe 4*4 kits.

I've got a set of the 3 spokes on mine and I'll probably just use them for a set of trail tires or winter tires, I'll keep the nicer disco rims for road tires.... Hmm I'm not sure what I'll end up using the rostyles for?! How the heck did I end up with so many rims?!!

Matt Nelson

Rod Turnbull
11-14-2006, 05:43 PM
How the heck did I end up with so many rims?!!

Matt... the only way someone can end up with that many rims is to find a good place to hide them from the wife. :thumb-up:

Keep up the good work!

Rod