PDA

View Full Version : What color is your tailpipe

Jim-ME
10-17-2007, 08:48 AM
I am under the impression that the color of the tail pipe should be grey unless the Rover is either using oil or running rich. Am I correct?
Jim

jp-
10-17-2007, 09:14 AM
Ummm, rust color?

TSR53
10-17-2007, 09:15 AM
I think that it might have to do more with the amount of lead in the fuel. IIRC, back in the good 'ol days of leaded 76 high octane the inside at the exhaust tip on my father's fuel injected 1969 Porsche 911E would be grey. I was recently at the Lime Rock Vintage festival and most if not all had grey exhaust as they are running leaded 108 race fuel.

Mercedesrover
10-17-2007, 09:34 AM
BLACK!

chester rides again
10-17-2007, 10:09 AM
green...:eek:

Jim-ME
10-17-2007, 10:27 AM
I asked a legitimate question. It doesn't help me make sure my Rover is tuned and adjusted correctly if I get cutsie answers.

dmurrell
10-17-2007, 11:18 AM
I've always heard that a properly tuned motor would have a "gray" tailpipe color. I have never acheived that level of tune on my Series truck in the 10 years I have driven it (or any other carburated car I've owned).

It might be that the main jet in my carburetor is too big, but that's how it was set up when I bought it.

In your shoes I might look for answers to tune in a different manner, by asking questions like:

1) Does the engine run well?
2) Is my fuel economy in the ranges posted on other sites for Series trucks?
3) Do my plugs foul frequently? etc

Jim-ME
10-17-2007, 11:24 AM
dmurrel,
Well said and thanks for a real answer. No offense to anyone else.
Jim

jp-
10-17-2007, 11:34 AM
Oh! You meant the inside of the tailpipe!

On everything I've ever run, its been black. The color is not what tells the story. It's the "feel" of the soot. If it's dry, that's good. If it's wet (oily / greasy), that's not good (means the engine is burning oil).

The condition of the soot is a terrible way to judge how well a motor is or isn't running, and should only be attempted by experts.

{jp = certified expert}

LaneRover
10-17-2007, 12:00 PM
Tailpipe?

OOOooohhhhh that's why mine sounds like a lobsterboat at full throttle!

Mercedesrover
10-17-2007, 12:54 PM
dmurrel,
Well said and thanks for a real answer. No offense to anyone else.
Jim

I was being serious, actually. I burn diesel. :)

Jim-ME
10-17-2007, 01:33 PM
Of you sir I am jealous. Hopefully someday. :)

TSR53
10-17-2007, 01:53 PM
I was serious too! I guess it didn't come out that way though...:o

What I meant to say Jim... IMHO, every car in the waaaay past I've driven without a catalytic convertor and used leaded petrol the tail pipe was grey. All the cars I've owned with cats and run unleaded petrol [including my '94 Defender 90 NAS] the tail pipes were black and looked like I ran diesel! Sooo, I think that you're ok with your Series as long as it get's decent mpgs (12-16 range or maybe better?) and isn't burning too much oil up. Sooty would be richer and not as crumbly sooty would be leaner. The best test would be to hook it to an exhaust sensor and that way you could dail it right in.

ps... sorry I didn't mean that race 108 octane Sunoco leaded fuel make you go any faster or that you should be using it to run grey.

Jim-ME
10-17-2007, 02:45 PM
I was basing my question on the days of leaded fuel and woindered if unleaded fuel burned the same way. At times I worry too much about the condition of my engine and just want to get as much out of it as it will give.
Jim

Mercedesrover
10-17-2007, 03:37 PM
I was recently at the Lime Rock Vintage festival and most if not all had grey exhaust as they are running leaded 108 race fuel.

Hey Thompson, next time you're headed to Lime Rock, give me a shout. I'm 5 minutes from there.

jim

LaneRover
10-17-2007, 04:09 PM
Black and sooty means that you are running too rich. This is a guess but I would guess that in a perfect world you should have a greyish color that isn't sooty.

Brent

chester rides again
10-17-2007, 06:38 PM
I asked a legitimate question. It doesn't help me make sure my Rover is tuned and adjusted correctly if I get cutsie answers.

Looks like you got enough "serious" replys - glad to see my "cutsie" answer didn't throw you off. ;)

SalemRover
10-17-2007, 08:56 PM
I was so tempted to ask if Meineke is a color. Mine is black too, Im running a diesel as well. My 2.25 gas was black too. It seemed alot easier to simply smell the exhaust. Rich exhaust and lean exhaust have very different smells. I always know when someone isnt running cats in front of me now.

-Jason

Donnie
10-21-2007, 08:57 PM
Ya gotta get a sense of the crew on here man, UR gonna get all kinds of answers.U have 2 sort out the serious ones. I found that out QUICK :).. Mercedes/ black= correct/funny2..Green??? if your engine is running correct, a finger wipe"in the exhaust that is" should yeild nothing... what are U getting?.......Donnie