PDA

View Full Version : Smiths heater

SeaMiler
10-17-2007, 12:28 PM
I know Smiths are renowned for blowing luke-warm air, but now that the colder weather has set in, it's a bit ridiculous. Short of swapping it out for a Kodiak or another brand that is rumored to work, anyone had any luck fine tuning it somehow?

yorker
10-17-2007, 01:38 PM
Which Smiths ? there are at least a couple versions some are really more suitable as an auxiliary heater than a primary.

Make sure the core is well flushed- and that the valves open fully, then go from there. A winter thermostat might help a bit.

Leslie
10-17-2007, 03:14 PM
One of the slickest things I've seen.....

There was a fella in town, took one of those cat-head heaters (the Coleman catalyst type, that's safe to use indoors)... he bolted the supporting leg to the backside of the bulkhead on his 88" (behind the seats in the cargo bay).... that thing would get so warm that even with all the drafty leaks through which air sneaks in, it would get hot enough to run you out of that vehicle on our coldest mornings. (But, mind you, that's not the same as someone's cold monrings in Alaska..... FWIW....)

SeaMiler
10-17-2007, 09:03 PM
Thanks Yorker, it's the flat one. The one of the left: http://www.landroverparts.us/seriesLandRover/s_cat_pages/bp_series_cat68.pdf Move air well, just doesn't heat it.

SalemRover
10-18-2007, 06:03 AM
I do believe you can modify the radiator box to add two inline radiators in there. Additionally a blower from an old ford pickup I think will greatly improve airflow. Bruce Fowler up in Maine has a 109 pickup/sauna that uses the blower trick at least.

-Jason

Donnie
10-21-2007, 08:49 PM
Look on ebay for "auxillary heater" they R an EZ fir and work swell....Donnie