PDA

View Full Version : 1983 Defender 110s legal to import in 08?

Matthew Whelan
10-19-2007, 11:43 PM
Is this true? Thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Land-Rover-Defender-110-Lannd-rover-110-1983_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ31849QQihZ016QQite mZ260172998207QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

greenmeanie
10-22-2007, 10:01 AM
Yes it is true. Under the 25 year rule it will be legal to import without meeting all thoese pesky DOT rules. The art of the game is finding a 1983 110 that is worth importing as most will be pretty dead by now.

On the other hand I have a brother inpossesion of a rather tasty '83 110 SW V8 with a 4.6 and R380 conversion. But that is my little secret and I am not passing out phone numbers.

Incidently you are looking for a 110 as the Defender name only came into use after a couple of years on the coilers.

As more and more coiler trucks become available to import I am rather interested to see what will happen to the prices of the NAS90/110 in the next few years. Will the days of the 35K D90 be gone?

Cheers
Gregor

Jim Gillespie
10-22-2007, 06:06 PM
It is 25 years from the date of MANUFACTURE to be exempt of EPA/DOT regulations. Check you plate/sticker for date of manufacture. 21 years for off road use.(EPA)

greenmeanie
10-23-2007, 10:41 AM
If you are serious a letter from Land Rover confirming the build date for that VIN number is a very useful thing as customs and DOT are quite dubious about data plates on LR's.

Even if you own your own land etc the EPA rule is really academic as the vehicle has dual use status. The customs/DOT will give you a lot of heartache trying to prove to them that the vehicle will not be used on public roads.

Cheers
gregor

orover
11-12-2007, 02:39 PM
I went through this whole process for 3 years before I just decided that the 1993 NAS 110 is the way to go. No stories, no issues and most importantly, no insurance problems. To me, the biggest fear was the liability if I or someone gets hurt by my imported 110. Can you imagine the field day one of today's lawyers would have if you hit someone in an illegally imported car? In the long run, a 1993 NAS D110 will be worth a lot more to collectors than a 110 with a story.

Is this true? Thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Land-Rover-Defender-110-Lannd-rover-110-1983_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ31849QQihZ016QQite mZ260172998207QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

greenmeanie
11-13-2007, 09:28 AM
In the long run, a 1993 NAS D110 will be worth a lot more to collectors than a 110 with a story.[/quote]

Hmmm. Next year I will be able to import a 110 legally and comparitively simply. I'll then be able to register and insure it legally so that will be a moot point. I do, however, agree that trying to beat the system is plain a bad idea.

The market value of the truck will be entirely dependent on what people are willing to pay. Fortunately for us collectors I will soon be able to buy a truck cheaply and overhaul it into something better than a NAS110 for a whole lot less than the 40-50K the market seems to support right now. I'll be interested to see how NAS110 rarity holds value once there are much cheaper alternatives flooding the market, small as it is.

Cheers
Gregor

xrover
11-15-2007, 09:28 AM
I agree. Once the 1983 can be legally imported I think you'll find a lot more Canadian owned Rovers making the trip to the US.

Mexico has a fair amount of them too. And I expect to see prices driven down with these being available.

As for the liability aspect, It all has to do with the document trail. If your on top of that, It's not an issue. Your insurance company is the one who covers your *ss when things go wrong.

Make sure you have proper coverage limits.

LOL

overlander
11-15-2007, 11:36 AM
I went through this whole process for 3 years before I just decided that the 1993 NAS 110 is the way to go. No stories, no issues and most importantly, no insurance problems. To me, the biggest fear was the liability if I or someone gets hurt by my imported 110. Can you imagine the field day one of today's lawyers would have if you hit someone in an illegally imported car? In the long run, a 1993 NAS D110 will be worth a lot more to collectors than a 110 with a story.

Same here. I reached the same conclusion. I'll never realize any change in value, as I'll never sell mine, ever. I just love it. No regrets on what I paid for it. It was worth even more to me than the market value alone. What price do you put on a dream?

steinhnj
12-16-2007, 01:40 PM
Let's remeber that it's still going to be 25 year old vehicle. If not properly cared for, a 25 year old Landie can have a myriad of hidden problems just waiting to be uncovered. And before you know it, you'll have just as much in that 25 year old vehicle as you would if you simply paid for a 1993 110.

Just my $.02

-Neil

Maxredd90
12-17-2007, 05:23 PM
25 year old Euro diesel 110 or a 93 USA Range Rover LWB? I'd easily take the older defender. So much less gimics! Simple proven design that will last forever. Age doesn't scare me even if it's been in mexico! It would have to be a diesel to make it worth the trouble though. and no offense I never consider my rovers as collectibles I like what I like and hope someone else will when i get tired of it! Sure the 93 110's are rare but the old mercedes G-wagons were too now look at them! All over the stinking place, especially neimans. It must suck to be an old mercedes gelandewagen collector!

defendercr
12-26-2007, 08:10 PM
I think the mention that there are lots of LR in Mexico is a mistake. I've lived in Mexico for the past five winters and have never seen a Defender except the occaisional NAS with US plates. Central America, especially Costa Rica, is thick with them. As you might know, Costa Rica had an assembly plant for Series models in the 70's. There are still thousands of them on the road there.