PDA

View Full Version : Engine start conundrum

AndrewG
10-20-2007, 11:10 AM
I just got a '93 Classic in pretty good condition, e-tested and certified, and driving very well. There are, of course, some little annoyances, one being that it can be very difficult to start ! I turn the ignition and the engine turns over easily, but doesn't catch until I push the gas pedal to the floor. Once it's started then there is the initial smell of gas but it keeps going till you stop it.

Any ideas ?

Andrew

Terrys
10-21-2007, 07:53 AM
Likely as not, you will have an error code showing on the display. The code showing will probably send you looking at one of the three sensors which determine how much fuel the ECU is telling the injectors to pass. They are MAF (mass airflow sensor) Fuel temp sensor (in the fuel rail) and engine water temp sensor (vertically mounted sensor in intake manifold. Not the norixontally mounted one, that's for your guage)
Your likly getting way too much fuel, so have to match the amount of air to get a proper mixture to fire. Check the display, see which sensor it's telling you is throwing it, then check that sensor.

AndrewG
10-26-2007, 08:59 AM
The display ? Do you mean on the dash ? I'm a bit new to the Rovers so I apologise for being a bit green.

Currently there are no lights or errors on the dashboard lights and they all work as the self-test shows all the bulbs and about a week into driving the RR I had a wierd light come on which i luckily heeded as a coolant hose had split and dumped the fluid out !

Paul Grant
10-29-2007, 06:37 PM
The OBD reader is under the passenger seat. Remove the outer seat frame cover and you will see the unit that displays the codes. It is a black box about the size of a deck of cards.

AndrewG
10-30-2007, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the info, I did a search and found a page with the full OBD codes and meanings also !

The more I play with the RR, the more I love it !

CJH
10-30-2007, 11:14 AM
Is this the site you found ? Gives the codes & reset procedure along with a wealth of troubleshooting info:

http://www.robisonservice.com/servicedep/rover_trouble.asp

Another very informative site. Be prepared to spend several hours reading:

http://www.rangerovers.net/

AndrewG
10-31-2007, 06:52 AM
Thats the one ! And RangeRovers.Net is an amazing fount of information, like drinking from a firehose :D