PDA

View Full Version : Used disco for wife/kids

gjh
10-21-2007, 08:30 AM
Hello:
Long time Series & Classic RR owner.

Looking at a 97LSE today with 81k. Sounds to be in good cond.

Please give me some issues specific to the Discos I need to look for.

Didn't they have a valve train issue & some overheating problems?

Any input would be appreciated.

Gary Hamilton
North of Boston

gjh
10-21-2007, 05:24 PM
Ok:

Went to see the 97 Disco today. In general in good shape. Disappointed to see one rust though spot on the rear door wheel arch from inside fender well.

Body 7 of 10, needs a good detailing, interior 9 of 10, nice tan leather. tires good, all elect seemed to work. Antifreeze & other fluids clean. Low on PS fluid, but couldn't see the box leaking. Def needs a rear resonator, poss pipe. ABS light did not go out. G\He said you need to pump it a few times before you start the car, but that didn't work. Had new brake master, rblt frt calipers & new pads/rotors. Brakes felt good. Car was about as slow of the get up as my old Rangie till I put in my new 4.0.

Asking $6k or near. We were the 1st ones to look at so I told him I'd sleep on it.

OK, now some pros & cons from you Disco owners, please!

snorkelingsarcosuchus
10-22-2007, 02:19 PM
i'm not a disco owner, but i've been looking for one for a loooooooong time

the rust in the wheel well is a common problem for cars not in dry climates. another thing to look for are rust bubbles by the alpine windows, but that's not that big of a deal. as for the ps box, being a rangie owner you should knowo about it well enough. i've seen disco's w/ multiple ps box replacements; some of them leak. dunno about abs, but if cel is on could be carbon build up on cars driven *gently* all its life. in general it's quite similar to rr classics; basically the same truck w/ different body and less fancy suspension. overheating kills aluminum engine. very slow. top heavy 'cuz of the steel roof. check if transfer case locked up due to lack of use. 6k is not cheap

landrover77
11-20-2007, 06:51 PM
Hey there,
I own a 1995 Discovery. I will never get anything besides a series I Disco
However you do want to be careful when purchasing one: any issues you currently see will only get worse. Invest in a full gasket workup to fix any leaks and any hoses {not the genuine (cork)gaskets/ rovers north (rubber) gaskets.
I would have a thorough workup done for the rest of the Rover to avoid future headaches. What costs you now can save you later when you least expect it (these vehicles are amazing but must be maint. well).
Having said that it sounds like a nice ride, go with your gut!
Cheers and good luck.

luckyjoe
11-21-2007, 07:53 AM
> He said you need to pump it a few times before you start
> the car, but that didn't work.

This is a fuel injected motor. Could be issues with the injector$ (8 of them!). That's expensive right there...

Tom P.

KeithFisher
11-23-2007, 03:54 PM
> He said you need to pump it a few times before you start
> the car, but that didn't work.

This is a fuel injected motor. Could be issues with the injector$ (8 of them!). That's expensive right there...

Tom P.

Hmm, I think the original post was referring to the ABS.
On my '95 Disco the ABS is disabled (next year's budget). Check the electrics thoroughly (does it have AC? does it work, do you care?) because grounding issues abound with corroded connections at every lamp you can see (and one's you can't).
$6K is way too much -- I'd start getting antsy at 5.4 -5K for that age...
I'm also intrigued as to the pick-up, my Disco takes off like a rocket while things definitely become more truck-like after 30mph...
A dry steering box? Maybe that's why the price is high (fascinating and suspicious at the same time).

Good luck with your choice - it's a fantastic vehicle!

joshua.mcguoirk
11-24-2007, 05:38 PM
Hello:
Long time Series & Classic RR owner.

Looking at a 97LSE today with 81k. Sounds to be in good cond.

Please give me some issues specific to the Discos I need to look for.

Didn't they have a valve train issue & some overheating problems?

Any input would be appreciated.

Gary Hamilton
North of Boston

What if any issues have you had with the RRC? The D1 to the best of my knowledge is the RRC LWB with a different body. Same electrics... same engine... same trans... same gearbox... same axles... even the interior is similar.

This should be no trouble for a series owner.

Have fun and good luck.