PDA

View Full Version : NRP down pipe fit?

KSMTAW
10-22-2007, 04:52 AM
Hello,

I don't think my new NRP stainless steel exhaust fits. There is no way that the down pipe can clear the frame cross support, the transmission and even the shackel bolt.

Has anyone had this problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Todd
1970 IIA 88" LHD petrol

jp-
10-22-2007, 09:10 AM
Need photos.

Doesn't the exhaust have to go "up and over" the frame cross support.

TSR53
10-22-2007, 10:13 AM
These photos are not the vehicle in question, only posted to help for mounting. NRP mounted to a Series II. Note: these were the shots of the prototype mounted, but should be relatively similar.

http://c7716.r16.cf2.rackcdn.com/RN-Forum/users/Mike_Koch/SERIES-II-NRP-exhaust2.jpg

Front downpipe
http://c7716.r16.cf2.rackcdn.com/RN-Forum/users/Mike_Koch/SERIES-II-NRP-exhaust7.jpg

KSMTAW
10-22-2007, 10:44 AM
It goes up and over the second support. The one that the tranny is bolted to. It hugs the first support- but mine doesn't seem to have enought run to make it across the first supprt before it turns up to go over the second support. When the new down pipe is compared to my old down pipe that is now off the truck, they are noticably different.

Thanks-

The photos are nice, enough to want to make me try again- but I was certain yesterday that it won't work.

V/R
Todd

CliftonRover
10-22-2007, 02:56 PM
It is very tricky to manuver it into place. When I installed mine the body was off the truck and I remember saying to myself, I am glad this thing will last because I could never get another one in place. If worst comes to worst you could always remove the manifolds, put the pipe in and then bolt them back on. I know thats easier said than done If you haven't replaced the bolts ever.

KSMTAW
10-23-2007, 04:49 AM
Thanks to Thompson the pipe fits perfect. The pictures he posted are worth several thousand words.

I was trying to maneuver the down pipe up an over the transmission mount, but I was in board (on the vehicle center side) of the mount. As soon as I routed it outboard the pipe fell into place.

The NRP exhaust seems to be very well made. The pipe is slightly larger OD and heavier wall. The way the pipe slide into each other and the stainless steel hanger supports are awesome. I should have bought this system 10 years ago. I've been through about three standard systems. This NRP looks to be the last one I will ever have to buy.

Thanks for posting the photos Thompson.

V/R
Todd

TSR53
10-23-2007, 08:05 AM
Awe shucks... think nothing of it... of course! It would have been great to get some bloody knuckles over trying to help you get 'er in, but I'm better suited to pushing pixels around. Here's one for yaa :gulp:, Glad I could help out.

BackInA88
10-31-2007, 06:05 AM
Thanks to Thompson the pipe fits perfect. The pictures he posted are worth several thousand words.

I was trying to maneuver the down pipe up an over the transmission mount, but I was in board (on the vehicle center side) of the mount. As soon as I routed it outboard the pipe fell into place.

The NRP exhaust seems to be very well made. The pipe is slightly larger OD and heavier wall. The way the pipe slide into each other and the stainless steel hanger supports are awesome. I should have bought this system 10 years ago. I've been through about three standard systems. This NRP looks to be the last one I will ever have to buy.

Thanks for posting the photos Thompson.

V/R
Todd

Todd,

Now that you have it installed.
How does it sound?
It looks like the pipes are very close to the frame and cross member in the pictures.
Have you noticed any banging on the frame while your driving around?
I'm thing of getting one as well but for that kind of money I want to make sure it's perfect. :p

Thanks,
Steve

chester rides again
10-31-2007, 08:42 PM
I see our hosts offer one for an 88" but how about a 109"

My current pipe is rattling pretty good at low idle <500 rpm under my seat and definitely showing signs of rust.

TSR53
11-01-2007, 09:46 AM
This is an on-going discussion with the manufacturer, we need more 109 owner's interested in this system...

When we originally went to manufacture, we had supplied a 88" factory system to model after and were going to have a front pipe and rear muffler fit both 88 and 109 models with a different center section, but instead designed a custom front pipe for the 88 that hugs the chassis and is different at the rear. This was mostly due to lack of 109 owner's interested in a stainless steel system at the time and the designer fabricating the project. The tooling was then manufactured for the 88" NRP system. As you know, the 109 chassis is larger in the center section area and we will need to re-tool for the 109 front pipe (center section area) and rear section. If and when the 109 owner's demand increases, this can move forward.

jp-
11-01-2007, 10:38 AM
Thompson,

Doesn't Rimmer Bros. already make a 109" exhaust in SS?

Les Parker
11-01-2007, 11:57 AM
Yes, RB offers the Series 109" in stainless, though there are several options (4- 6cylinder, early late petrol/diesel, 109 V8 etc), thus it would be a nightmare for inventory to cover all.

:(

BackInA88
11-02-2007, 03:13 PM
I see our hosts offer one for an 88" but how about a 109"

My current pipe is rattling pretty good at low idle <500 rpm under my seat and definitely showing signs of rust.

Have you seen this one??
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Land-Rover-series-109-SS-exhaust-system_W0QQitemZ300167216565QQihZ020QQcategoryZ119 137QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

:thumb-up:

Hormel
11-02-2007, 03:53 PM
I looked at that one on Ebay but i have to have more than a "pretty sure it will fit" before I pull the trigger.

I would be interested in a SS system through RN. Kind of like buying a galv. frame, you only need to do it once.
John

TSR53
11-02-2007, 07:39 PM
Thompson,

Doesn't Rimmer Bros. already make a 109" exhaust in SS?

Sorry, didn't get to this one... Yes, Les answered it, they do.

KSMTAW
11-05-2007, 05:23 AM
The exhaust fits very good. It sounds fine. A little deeper, but not really louder- well maybe a little. It is hard to explain, but it also feels better. You must understand that for two months prior to my install, I was running with bailing wire and soup cans holding my stock steel exhaust together.

The stock exhausts are made of such poor steel (in my opinion) that i would only recomend buying the NRP exhaust. The only drawback is the price. $530.00 seems too much. It is just pipe and a muffler. Don't get me wrong, the bends are precise, the fit is perfect and the tig welds are high quality.

The left rear bump stop bolt on the inboard side of the frame rail is the closest thing to the pipe. But it does not touch.

I would recomend it.

In the twelve years I have owned my series, I have bought 3 exhausts, and I think they rust quicker each time. I don't know if the road salts have gotten stronger or the alloys steels have gotten dirtier, or a combanation of both.

V/R
Todd

jp-
11-05-2007, 08:07 AM
Yes the steel quality is falling in many areas (not all, but many). My company produces steel strut (5 million feet a month). As part of our ISO requirements, all steel comes in (to us) with spec sheets.

The reason for the cost, as with all things that last forever, is that you will never need to buy another one. Therefore, they have to make more money on the front end because there is no chance of a return purchase in the future. This is true with all companies that sell durable (or incredibly durable) goods.