PDA

View Full Version : 2000 range rover hse transfer case slipping

tlhicks
10-22-2007, 08:29 AM
I starting hearing a hard knocking noise this weekend when excelerating hard. Took Range to my local shop this morning, they said it souds like the transfer case slipping and I should take it to the range rover dealership. Any suggestions? 2000 hse 103k miles. noise only last for about 10 seconds on quick starts and hard excellerations. Other than that it rides smooth.:confused:

mypaisa
12-06-2007, 09:45 AM
I started down the transmission/transfer case about a year ago. I bought a refurbished transfer case to start with from an online dealer, and had my local dealership do the labor. In doing that, they ruined the transmission and blamed it on the transfer case. The finger pointing began. Ultimately, we went through 3 transfer cases and 2 transmissions before the car would drive. Now about 250 miles later (we didnt drive it for about 6 months too) we get a 'check engine' and the dealership says it the the transmission ecu and wants $2000 to replace.

The initial transmission/transfer case replacement costed well over $5K when it was all said and done, and I have already replaced the air suspension and front brakes as well. I bought the thing for $13K and when I asked the dealership for tradein value (same dealer that did all the work) they offered $6K.

After I rid myself of this one, I will never get a used Rover again.

Clayton Adams
02-04-2008, 07:53 PM
There is a chain that wears out in the transfer case, and it starts slipping on the gears/sprockets that it rides on. This chain carries all of the torque of the drive train, so it will only get worse as time goes on. It is best to replace it before it wears out the gears.sprockets. The chain is not cheap. Maybe 400-500 bucks, and sometime the sprocket needs to be replaced but it is maybe 150 bucks for one. Labor is 4+ hours so it will cost 700-800 bucks to do the job . This may not be the problem, but it sounds just like mine before it went out on me. I was pulling a boat on my vacation, and was about 400 miles from nearest rove dealer. I called a transmission shop, they opened up the transfer case and found the problems because I told them my RR dealer in Atlanta told me this was the likely problem.

It is an awful noise, and once I knew it was a big change on a gear jumping the teeth, I could visualize the problem by the horrible noise. The quicker you take of the more it will jump. If you take of real slow and easy it may not jump at all, but it will get worse in short order.