PDA

View Full Version : Tranny brake stuck - any quick fixes?

VTRover
10-24-2007, 01:33 PM
My transmission brake is stuck. The usual fix of smacking it with a hammer to free it are not really working and the cable appears to be unresponsive. When I pull the lever it only ratchets at the very top of the lever travel. Pushing the lever back down has no results either. I've sprayed WD40 and PB Blaster around the drum but it seems to be stubbornly stuck. Any quick fixes come to mind? I have to drive it to the shop and won't want to smoke it completely.

Les Parker
10-24-2007, 01:59 PM
Ref the t. brake, is this on a Series veh. or the Def 110?
You mention a cable, which would lead me to think of a Def 110.
Either way, if you "smack" the linkage just forward of the hand brake drum, this shouls release the pressure on the brake drum, thus enableing you to drive the veh. to the shop for effective repair.

:)

Terrys
10-24-2007, 08:23 PM
It is most likely corrosion within the cable, and not the actual brake or any of the linkage within the brake drum.

VTRover
10-26-2007, 09:03 PM
Thanks Les - that worked. I've degreased all the linkages and the brake lever seems to ratchet fine but it will NOT release without a couple of taps on the mechanisim. It seems to me that whatever the handbrake is supposed to do when you put it down is not happening at the transbrake. I thought it was gooped up with grease and crap but that does not seem to be the case after repeated degreasing and cleaning - is there a return spring or something or is the cable just shot?