PDA

View Full Version : Inertia Seat Belts

siii8873
10-25-2007, 04:24 PM
I am going to install Inertia type seat belts in my SIII. It originally had static belts and only the two mounting points on the door side. The inertia type regire mounting the reel somewhere also. Does anyone have any pictures of how they may have retrofittet the reeh attachment?

BackInA88
10-26-2007, 05:10 AM
First I bought "Mounting Bracket Top" right and left side (RNC112 & RNC113) from our hosts.
Bought seats belts from http://store.gotbelts.com/relapshwbuen.html
BEAMS Cable Buckle End WSCH14154C 2 85.90 Add Hardware Kit #1 = Yes (+$5.95)
Retractable Lap & Choose Buckle Length = 9 inch
Shoulder Choose Overall Web Length = 110
You have to pick you buckle and web length.
I also got a couple hardware kits as they are cheap.
$178 for both front seat shipped to my door.

Above is what I bought.
If I had to do it over I might have gone with the longer buckle lenght of 13 inchs?
Althought the hardware kits angle brackets allowed me to mount them offset from the chassis mounting points to line up with the sides of the seats nicely.

Since "Fastner Bracket for Reel" RNE268 is NLA which you needed to drill holes in the tub capping to mount.
I drilled a clearance hole in the capping for the 7/16 x 20 reel mounting bolt.
I drill in tapped a 1/2 inch thick piece of steel flat stock small enough to slide into one of the slots on the underside of the capping. I think it was 1/2 x 1 x 1 1/2? Than it screwed it into this.
I didn't want just a nut and washer back there that might pull though the capping in a crash.

You also have to drill holes to install the "Mounting Bracket Top".
(You can't see mine as they are under the trim panel now.)
Installed with all grade 5 fasteners.

Being a universal reel assembly you have to pulling the webbing slowly when latching.
They don't know how you are going to mount it so the centrifugal weights are set low.
You get use to taking your time putting your belt on. ;)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y142/slouzon/DSC02851.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y142/slouzon/DSC02852.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y142/slouzon/DSC02853.jpg

siii8873
10-26-2007, 06:22 PM
Backina88
Thanks, I had static belt originally (were shot) so I have the mounting points for them in the truck. What I was trying to figure out was where / how to mount the reel piece of the new inertia belts which you show very well. Like your way of mounting the reel. There is no problem with having the reel at an angle? Holding the ones I have in my hand they are real touchy on getting them to pull out.
Thanks
Bob

BackInA88
10-26-2007, 06:38 PM
Mine have to be pulled out slowly and smoothly so it doesn't catch.

Hormel
10-26-2007, 08:39 PM
siii8873,
When I was trying to install a set of inertia belts in my 109 I found the reels from RN had to be held exactly vertical to retract without always catching. In the end I returned them and installed thier static belts instead. I did not like the way they belts and brackets detailed in to the sides of the 109 but I will probably go back and install 1 inertia for the drivers seat
John

VTRover
10-26-2007, 09:32 PM
Who has a good belt setup for soft top Series?

PH4
10-27-2007, 07:58 AM
Les was nice enough to send me a photo of a set of inertia belts in a Defender double cab. If he still has it, maybe he can post it here.

siii8873
10-27-2007, 11:05 AM
AHHH! my seatbelt delema continues. I tried working the inirtia belts I have in the position above on the cowling behind the seat and they DO NOT work in this position. If the reel is near vertical they work great, but if it is off vertical by this amount no go. I do not see how I can make these belts work.
I did purchase an aftermarket (ProLine) set of static belts but returned them to RN. They were not very well made and the attachment part was not configured correctly.
I have my original belts which are fine but the pices they attach to are all broken. Does anyone know where to get two good used center pieces. Or a whole used set of original static seat belts.
HELP
Bob