PDA

View Full Version : Recon transmission advice

Clive
11-08-2006, 06:31 AM
Has anyone out there purchased a recon transmission from our hosts?
If so, what feedback can you offer?
Are they mechanically sound?
Do they leak oil (eventually?!)?

I would hope a recon gearbox woud be leak free for at least several thousand miles, and be mechanically sound for 10s of thousands....can anyone indicate if this is the case with the ones RN sells (which I believe are UK sourced). The reason I ask this is I have just had a series of bad experiences with recon transmissions from another supplier, with mechanical issues and major oil leaks :mad: . I'd like to find a reliable recon transmission. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

J!m
11-08-2006, 11:26 AM
I have a recon R380 I purchased from RN about two years ago and it is still going strong. It is starting to weep a bit of fluid (I run synthetic ATF in the R380) from the gaskets, but the level does not drop between oil changes.

kevin-ct
11-08-2006, 06:34 PM
I also purchase a trans for my Series 3 from RN this year. The trans is great!
It does leak a bit from the lower pan,but, that's apart of the fun owning a Land Rover. :rolleyes:

kevin-ct

Clive
11-09-2006, 06:48 AM
Thanks for the feedback...I have also spoken to RN and they seem pretty confident that the unit will be mechanically sound and will not leak significant oil (assuming significant oil means seepage or a few drops overnight). I have taken the transmission out and replaced it in my SIII three times in the last nine months - what a royal PITA that is!

Paul Grant
11-09-2006, 01:16 PM
I bought a reconditioned transmission several years ago and could have sworn it was brand new. It ran beautifully for a few years and then I sold it.