PDA

View Full Version : Running hot

KSMTAW
10-29-2007, 11:00 AM
Hello,

My 2.25 liter petrol is running hot. For twelve years she has always been in the same range- Now, it rises towards the red and will get there if I don't run the heater fan and shut her down soon.

I replaced the cap, 12lbs. I replaced the thermostat 88°. I replaced the temp sender on the engine block. and the fluid is the correct ratio 50/ 50 and level.

When it gets up to temp, and I carefully take the radiator cap off and give it some gas, the visable fluid in the radiator sinks and moves, which leads me to beleive the water pump is working- but I am not sure.

Can the water pump fail without any signs of leakage or noise?

I almost suspect the original smiths temp gauge.

Any advice?

Thank You-
Todd
Lebanon, Maine

greenmeanie
10-29-2007, 01:50 PM
Do the usual stuff.
- After run up put your hand on the radiator hoses. A cold hose means a blockage.
- Check the radiator for cool spots and you'll know if its getting clogged.
- Also check the condition and tension of the fan belt.

A failed water pump will usually have been really noisy as the bearing/impeller fails.

You can check the gauge easily by pulling the sensor bulb thing out of the head and placing it in hot water. Measure the temp of the hot water with a thermometer so that you have a control and then look at what the gauge is telling you.

Cheers
Gregor.

Donnie
10-29-2007, 06:30 PM
Hello,

My 2.25 liter petrol is running hot. For twelve years she has always been in the same range- Now, it rises towards the red and will get there if I don't run the heater fan and shut her down soon.

I replaced the cap, 12lbs. I replaced the thermostat 88°. I replaced the temp sender on the engine block. and the fluid is the correct ratio 50/ 50 and level.

When it gets up to temp, and I carefully take the radiator cap off and give it some gas, the visable fluid in the radiator sinks and moves, which leads me to beleive the water pump is working- but I am not sure.

Can the water pump fail without any signs of leakage or noise?

I almost suspect the original smiths temp gauge.

Any advice?

Thank You-
Todd
Lebanon, Maine
Stop by your local repair shop, ask if he has a laser thermometer.. If he does not , move on, find someone who does and he can scan your rad., hoses, WP, cyl head etc. etal 4 hot spots or cold spots in case of a clogged rad..fast & easy
great too to add to your tool box as they have dropped in price A LOT in the last couple of years...........

casey
10-29-2007, 07:54 PM
... this happened in My ī99 subaru outback, and when I called my mechanic from the roadside to describe the symptom he instantly said it was a blown headgasket. Granted this is a problem typical of that era subaru engine, but might be worth checking into as the symptoms were exactly what your describing. Good luck, and keep us posted on what you find out.

casey
10-29-2007, 07:59 PM
Stop by your local repair shop, ask if he has a laser thermometer.. If he does not , move on, find someone who does and he can scan your rad., hoses, WP, cyl head etc. etal 4 hot spots or cold spots in case of a clogged rad..fast & easy
great too to add to your tool box as they have dropped in price A LOT in the last couple of years...........

Ditto. My dad has one and itīs fun to play around with, plus you can do some interesting experiments as to how effective your homeīs insulation is by shooting the inside and outside of walls, windows, floors, etc. on a cold day when the heat is on full inside.

KSMTAW
10-30-2007, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I have an infered thermometer for a nitro powered remote control car. I will get the truck up to temp tonight and check the radiator, block and every where else.

V/R
Todd
1970 IIA 88

jp-
10-30-2007, 04:29 PM
...you can do some interesting experiments as to how effective your homeīs insulation is by shooting the inside and outside of walls, windows, floors, etc. on a cold day when the heat is on full inside.

That is a super good idea.:thumb-up: Going to do that soon.

Also, sinking and rising water level in the radiator is not always bad.

Sinking and rising water over 1/2" with air bubbles is a blown head gasket.