PDA

View Full Version : New Paint that's Close to Faded Marine Blue?

Bostonian1976
10-30-2007, 03:24 PM
Can anyone recommend a rust inhibitor that comes in a nice shade of 'patina marine blue?'

or maybe a good rust inhibitor to put on my bulkhead/breakfast and a good blue to put on top of that that would resemble faded marine blue?

I'm going to do this until I can begin the actual rebuild of the truck. Better to stop the rust in its tracks, right? Thanks in advance...

Jim-ME
10-30-2007, 04:06 PM
Personally I would paint it with the full treatment from POR15 (ie Marine Clean, Metal Ready, Por-15 and then POR15 primer. Then you can top coat it with anything you want. FWIW my Rover is a minimum of 3 colours/fades and as I get the $ I repaint the other pieces. Next to be painted is the bonnet. Multiple colours isn't that bad actually.
Jim

Bostonian1976
10-30-2007, 04:20 PM
thank you!

My question's going to ultimately become - do I repaint the truck in marine blue, or keep the 'patina?'

in the interim, I want to protect what it has before it crumbles...

jp-
10-30-2007, 04:22 PM
No point in painting it with POR until you can paint the whole thing (i.e. with the bulkhead off).

Just take a paint chip in and have some Rustoleum paint made up to match the faded blue.

jp-
10-30-2007, 04:24 PM
For what it's worth, I had my 88" two years before I was able to being the restoration. During that time it was just covered with a tarp. The rust was no worse in two years.

I hate painting things twice.

Jim-ME
10-30-2007, 04:29 PM
Try this company. They seem to be able to match anything. http://www.towerpaint.com/
Jim

LH Drive
10-30-2007, 06:00 PM
What about going down to ACE Hardware and buying a gallon of OSPHO rust inhibitor. Its a green liquid that you can apply with a spray bottle. Just don't get this stuff in your eyes. I think its pure Phosphoric Acid, same as that POR Metal Ready. I would Degrease the metal first like POR recommends. Ospho will turn the rust into a black paintable surface, not marine blue, sorry. It will have to be top coated so you can spray some cheap rattle can paint or grey primer untill your ready to work on it. No metal should be left bare unless you live in Arizona.

Momo
10-31-2007, 07:27 PM
Personally I think that your Station Wagon looks amazing in its current weathered condition. It would be very cool if you restored it mechanically and
left the body as is (other than to resolve any rust issues).

If your truck was restored with new rubber seals, lenses, all the correct details- and still had the weathered patina, you'd have something unique for sure.

However, if you wanted to repaint it and still create a patina, you could just paint it and age it- use a lower quality paint and sand it to get that weathered look.

Bostonian1976
10-31-2007, 08:55 PM
Personally I think that your Station Wagon looks amazing in its current weathered condition. It would be very cool if you restored it mechanically and
left the body as is (other than to resolve any rust issues).

If your truck was restored with new rubber seals, lenses, all the correct details- and still had the weathered patina, you'd have something unique for sure.

However, if you wanted to repaint it and still create a patina, you could just paint it and age it- use a lower quality paint and sand it to get that weathered look.

yeah I'm just talking about the bulkhead and breakfast 'til they get painted. Then I'll decide whether the full truck gets painted or not. I love the weathered look, but the body is so ridiculously straight that it woud look nice painted. hmm. The bulkhead and breakfast are in REASONABLY good shape now but need to be protected...

Momo
11-01-2007, 12:30 AM
Well in that case if I were in your shoes I guess I would spot treat the steel with a coat of POR-15, then hit it with some rattlecan blue (if you don't topcoat POR-15 it breaks down in sunlight). But any more than a few spots that are easily accessible, you might as well remove the bulkhead and go all the way.