PDA

View Full Version : No drive. Help.

alaskajosh
10-31-2007, 12:55 AM
Why does this stuff come up at 9:50PM? I've been doing a BUNCH of work on this thing. Finally took it off jackstands and fired it up... wanted to go out on a victory spin even though it's 9:50pm and stormy. No drive at the transfer case. It's just like it's forever in neutral.

I had to trash a burnt up Fairey OD. So I had pulled it out and replaced the "lid" if you will. The cast cover with six stud holes and an interior "cone" thing that houses needle bearings.
Did I miss something? Am I missing parts after removing the OD?

I put the tranny in gear, move the T-case lever every which way...nothing. Neutral.

Hope I didn't do something dumb (again).

Mercedesrover
10-31-2007, 05:12 AM
You need to replace the overdrive gear with the original main shaft gear. Sounds like you don't have that gear?

Look here and you'll see what I mean. http://www.faireyoverdrive.com/guide/page8.htm

jim

BackInA88
10-31-2007, 06:00 AM
No victory for you yet!:(
LR's like to do that to you, let you think you have thought of everything and than BAM!!!
If you didn't pull the nut off the trans output shaft and remove the Fairey drive adaptor and replace it with the original gear, your trans is not connected to your transfer case.:mad:

Now do you even have the gear?

Steve

giorgio
10-31-2007, 08:34 AM
You might want to consider buying a "Roverdrive" at this point, as the gear in question must also be removed before fitting the Roverdrive. I have no affiliation with the supplier, although I recently installed one in my 1968 Series IIA 109.

alaskajosh
10-31-2007, 09:48 AM
Ugh. Another parts order. Maybe this gear will cost about $1200 so that the decision to buy a Roverdrive will be really easy.:rolleyes:

Come to think of it I did see some kind of gear in one of the boxes of loose crap that came with this car. I bet that's it!!

Thank you very much for your help, gents.

jp-
10-31-2007, 10:32 AM
The gears are very common. Many people have them leftover from overdrive installations. Should be very cheap, maybe even free.

I do have one I'd give you, but the teeth are quite worn.

SalemRover
10-31-2007, 02:21 PM
I have one for free collecting dust. It's from a IIA box. Give me a ring and its yours.

-Jason

nine seven eight 985 2623 (cell)

Terrys
10-31-2007, 05:17 PM
Why not just rebuild your Fairey? RDS supplies all the internals.

4flattires
10-31-2007, 09:59 PM
sure sounds like it. I should know, thats what I am missing for my tranny.

Alaska, if you get hooked up, I would like to be next in line. I need the gear and the mainshaft housing support. Looks like my tranny was stripped of the O.D. :confused:

PM me if you have these two...please?

Thanks,

Jeff

alaskajosh
10-31-2007, 10:02 PM
Why not just rebuild your Fairey? RDS supplies all the internals.

It was pretty toasted. That led to an unpleasant conversation with George.

Thanks to all who very generously offered their spare gear!! Good bunch you all are. But I think I found one in my parts. Thank you.

alaskajosh
11-01-2007, 12:42 AM
No victory for you yet!:(

Steve

Thanks to you all, that gear went in and I got my victory drive tonight!

Thank you.

BackInA88
11-01-2007, 06:01 AM
alaskajosh,

I just remembered that the nut retaining that gear has to be pretty tight.
Somewhere around 100 flbs I believe?
You need to check the "Green Bible" to be sure.
Do you have any spare locking washers for that nut?
They can only be bent a few times before they brake off.
I replace mine every time to be safe they are cheap.

Steve