PDA

View Full Version : sankey haul'n?

scott
11-04-2007, 01:15 PM
i'm thinking of get'n a sankey 3/4 ton. riggin it with a canvas & hoops puting in a bunk and table, sort of a minimalist camper. estimate it'll weigh about 1100 lbs. any one out there oull that much with an old series 88?

jp-
11-04-2007, 08:32 PM
Actually, yes. I have hauled several 1000 lb loads in my M416 1/4 ton trailer. Just give yourself a few (ok maybe 10) extra car lenghts to stop. If you keep the load to 500 lbs or less, the M416 does beautifully. For regular load hauling, I would suggest upgrading the brakes.

badvibes
11-04-2007, 11:26 PM
i'm thinking of get'n a sankey 3/4 ton. riggin it with a canvas & hoops puting in a bunk and table, sort of a minimalist camper. estimate it'll weigh about 1100 lbs. any one out there oull that much with an old series 88?

dude-

So does the trailer use a pintle? Same wheel/bolt pattern as a Series? It would be convenient if the PD and the trailer shared spares. I like the idea of a small trailer combo camper. Consider a "galley" set-up for the outside of the trailer? Some type of quick awning over one side. Then a box or boxes that open to the outside with all the camp kitchen stuff stored inside. Like a truck with a utility bed. Bulk propane bottle(s) mounted on the tounge. Built in water tank/storage or just jerry cans? What about cold storage? Ice chests or one of those ARB or Enkel (sp?) mini fridges? What about batteries or a generator? 1100Ibs? I can get you up to that and spend your $ in a heartbeat. Or the total minimalist route, canvas cover with a cot inside nothing else. Would you drag it to Baja?

Jeff

scott
11-04-2007, 11:57 PM
the 1100 i speak includes the 800 of the sankey it's self. i'm thinking a cot down one side and a table down the other, hooped canvas so that i could sit on the bunk and fiddle with crap if the weather was fowl. generator a must the table would be used as a work bench for all the parts will need to rebuild as we cruise the baja and a burner for the coffee. cooler, maybe but remember beer can be drunk warm